Another Drought Year

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The news is reporting abnormally dry conditions in northern NH and moderate drought in NH south of the whites. One of the downsides of this nice run of weather.

I have recently seen a report the Union Water Power Androscoggin River System (which covers NE NH and NW Maine waters that flow into the Androscoggin) as in better shape this year for storage in the lakes. Last year the lakes were very low.

The news is reporting abnormally dry conditions in northern NH and moderate drought in NH south of the whites. One of the downsides of this nice run of weather.

I have recently seen a report the Union Water Power Androscoggin River System (which covers NE NH and NW Maine waters that flow into the Androscoggin) as in better shape this year for storage in the lakes. Last year the lakes were very low.

I took a dunk in Chocorua Lake today and it seemed as high as it usually is mid- July.

Chocorua Lake is quite shallow and has an outlet dam and is maintained at a single elevation, it has to be quite dry to reduce the flow enough to allow the level to drop. Southern NH tends to have real problem with droughts as there are no big reservoirs to hold water so many of the towns depend on shallow ponds and aquifers.

Last edited: