Another VFTT Gathering - Hudson River Gorge Whitewater Rafting Trip - May 2004

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I was just putting together a rafting trip for the Glens Falls-Saratoga Adirondack Mountain Club outings schedule, when the thought occurred to me that a whitewater rafting trip could make a damn good excuse for another VFTT gathering in May. Granted the focus would not involve hiking, but it would involve camping (with running water and hot showers) and some good camaraderie. Additionally, this is typically mud season in the High Peaks, when many of us make an effort to stay off those trails. The campsite is situated in the Southern Adirondacks, providing convenient access to trails in the Indian Lake, Lake George, Schroon Lake areas. Snowy Mtn, Crane Mtn, and the Tongue Mountain Range are favorites in this area. These trails do not see as much use as the High Peaks but do offer some fantasitic summit views, and should be through their mud season by May.

The Hudson River Gorge offers 16 miles of spectacular whitewater and beautiful scenery. It is a solid class III-IV river, with the potential for some class V water during particularly heavy runoff. The dates that I'm thinking of for the trip would be either:

May 8-9

OR

May 22-23

These dates should provide us with good water, but are late enough in the season so that the warmer weather and warmer water should make for a more enjoyable trip than earlier in the season.

Cost will depend on whether we decide to raft Saturday or Sunday. The trip is a 1 day trip. My estimate on the cost (assuming we can get a big enough group to qualify for a group discount) would be $65 per person for Sunday, or $75 per person on Saturday. That cost would be all inclusive, including dinner at the end of the trip. Camping should be $5 per person (perhaps less with a large group) per night to camp. Setting up camp on Thursday or Friday would not be a problem, nor would breaking camp on Monday (or even later for that matter).

Please respond here to let me know if you are interested, and which dates you would prefer. Also, if you would like to receive an email with all the updates (instead of having to read through this entire thread), please email me (once only) with "VFTT Hudson River Trip" in the subject heading. You can email me by clicking on the "profile" button on the bottom of this post, and then selecting "Click here to email Johnnycakes."

Hope to here from many of you, and perhaps we can have another nice gathering.

John

Last edited:
I also would like to join, the earlier date would provide higher water as Alpine Summit already noted. I usually do some rafting and paddling during mud season every year and this would make for a great VFTT Gathering. I am in . . . :D

sli74

Whitewater rafting :D That is some fun in the wilderness :D I would vote for the earlier date, better water and the later date is the same weekend as the Devils path marathon hike.

Man I can't wait for spring and the end of tax season!!

The Gathering Will be the Weekend of May 8-9

Although I've only heard from a few, the May 8-9 weekend seems to be preferable for all who have responded so far. It also gives us more flexibility with our numbers with the rafting company, and should mean higher water as well.

So, the weekend of May 8-9 it is.

Is there a preference for which day we raft, Saturday or Sunday?

I could see Saturday as being preferable for those with long drives, but there is no reason we can't extend beyond the weekend like the most recent gathering. If we plan on Friday-Monday, then rafting on Sunday seems just as good as Saturday, and we'll get a cheaper rate.

So, please keep the feedback coming.

Can't go......

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend :mad:

I'll be on my way to Arizona for a Grand Canyon trip!! :D

Have fun - hope the water is high for plenty of thrills!

I am interested. What time does the rafting start? Time may play a factor for me due to length of my drive and if i want to take off from work.

Hmmm. Mothers Day may pose a problem for me. Regardless, Saturday would be a better day for me.

I've only rafted once, a long time ago on class near nothing water.

And, NYBRAD:

"Things completely out of my control, scare the pants off me."

Wait, you're mountaineer, right? Objective dangers?

Last edited:
I might be able to make it for fire side chats and drinks.
Depends on a trip thats in the works for May.

Warren, I can't quite explain my fear of rafting down a raging
river.
I guess it's because I'm unfamiliar with it.

It’s probably my lack of situational awareness, and lack of ability to evaluate risk on the river.

While climbing, or being in the mountains on the other hand, I feel comfortable.

Maybe just not knowing the history of the boat, people I'm with, what's under the water(strainers?), the route the river takes, could be reasons.
I guess I've put it in the same category as bungee jumping. Once you step off, your control is gone.
A reoccurring dream, of going over a waterfall, and drowning in a raging river doesn't help either.
Then again,
maybe I'm just getting old. I did some pretty crazy stuff, way out of my control , back in my Marine days.

Last edited:
Check in time for rafting is at 8:30 AM just north of Warrensburg, NY. I didn't even think about Mother's Day, but I think I'll leave things as they are right now until I get some more responses.

John

JC

Way to early to WWR, I like to see the ice on the banks and the trip operators sweating their risk management folks. IMHO earlier is much better and that is what the rubber wear is good for.

As for NYBRAD we will have to settle for Pinnacle Gully, which technically can be done the same weekend, in winter, and still run the river out of Warrensburg.

Ice climbing is about objective danger, after all!

Michael CM

Pinnacle Gully in May could be a bit dicey. Water dams, icefall, could be objective hazards depending on the weather patterns. But these are things that can be assessed somewhat.

And then running the river! What a day that would be!

I think WATERTFALL ice has it's objective hazards as you said, but it seems most accidents on ice, occur due to subjective hazards caused by the climber.

Last edited:
WAY TOO LATE TO WWR

I goofed, I ment to say it would be way to late, that is May for good WWR. It is dam release so it is usually good.

The best trip we ever did was in April and there was a surprise 10 inch snowfall the night before, the next morning was near 70 degrees and we slid the boats into the ever swelling Indian river and by the time we hit the Hudson it was in flood mode.

We have done this trip many times as a company trip and the best water is early April or the last week in March which is very cold!

And we have really done both Ice climb and Raft the same week end.

Michael CM

Michael,

I've worked on the Hudson for a few seasons now, and have lived close to it for quite a few years more. I would argue that the best water is usually about the third week in April, plus or minus a week. You can get freaky water levels at just about any time of the year due to heavy rainfall, but these dates seem to be the most consistent. I've found that early April is often a bit of a disappointment for rafters, as the water is always colder, but often not much better than late April or May. This is based just on my observations though, no data to back it up.

Given that May 8-9 is Mother's Day, does the weekend before that work better for people? I hate to start changing things, but just thought I would ask.

John

that friday the 30th would be my birthday :D

How about the Penobscott (sp) in Maine followed by some nice hiking in Baxter later in the summer nice dam release river with some nice class 5's and a waterfall to raft over

JC,
The weekend before Mother's Day (May 8,9) is the first full weekend in May (1 & 2), and is usually White Water Derby Weekend. I don't know if that would be a negative or a positive, more boat traffic (book soon) or more people, more fun things to do. The Riverwood has a huge party with camping, bon-fire, and bands, but it can be a little insane and go 'till the wee hours!
I'm usually trout fishing that Saturday and watching the down river race on Sunday, so I won't be attending. Good luck though, Ken

I am a licensed guide on the Hudson River. I no longer work for a company doing paying trips, but I do have one self bailing raft and enough equipment for 8 people in my garage. I would be able to take one boat full of people at no cost.

I just have to check my schedule for that month and see what is going on. Most likely the earlier date would be better for me, since my wife is due to have a baby around the first of June.

I will check my schedule, but keep me posted as to how I can fit my assistance and equipment in. I am especially interested since I couldn't fit the Winter gathering in.

Just to add a little more input:

I have been rafting on the Hudson for over 10 years now. I would agree with John, the best water is around the 3rd or 4th weekend in April. Late March/Early April is usually really cold and lower water. On top of that, with the cold winter we have had so far, there is likely to be a lot of ice which may not be totally out before early April.

As for the whitewater weekend, there are pros and cons to that. You can count on any outdoor camping spots being full, and there will be people EVERYWHERE near the takeout. However, there is a lot of nightime entertainment then.

I can tell you that the first weekend in May is no good for me. The second weekend looks open now but I have to check with my wife to be sure.

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to pm me. Also, John, if you want any assistance, pm me also.