approaching S Kinsman from the south

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpino

Reaction score
In a few weeks I am thinking about hiking South Kinsman from the south. The plan is to hike up Reel Brook Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail, set up camp at Eliza Brook, and then summit South Kinsman and return to camp, returning to my car the next day. I have three questions:
1. the WMG says that the Reel Bk Tr can be muddy. Given the recent snow should I expect boot-sucking mud pits or should it be reasonably passable?
2. I have heard that the southern approach to SK is pretty steep. Given the expectation of snow and ice, just how difficult is the KR Trail between Eliza Bk and the summit?
3. How reliable is the water source at Eliza Brook this time of year?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

Its been awhile but my memory is that the approach up So Kinsman from the south is very steep. A rough comparison for footing would be the Twinway but steeper. Its basically climbing up from boulder to boulder. It could be real interesting if there is ice on the boulders and not enough snow to fill in the holes. around the boulders.

Thru hikers tend to complain about it which is good indication that its more than usual hiking as they have several months of hiking under their belts.

I was up there a few years ago on a snowy Columbus Day weekend. The mud wasn't too bad and the brook was running well. The trail up S Kinsman was steep but not really bad. There was some snow on the rocks but not enough to be a problem. All in all I thought it was a very pretty hike. The pond was beautiful and when the sky cleared there were nice views in a direction that one doesn't normally get to see. The down side is that the trail is not heavily used and as such it is quite grown in in spots. Wet snow on the trees made for a drenching hike for me. I think it's a nice alternative to the "Fishin' Jimmy Highway"
Bob

I would say that in a few weeks the ground will be frozen and mud won't be an issue, although it can be terrible in summer. I would also consider Eliza Brook to be reliable. It is definitely steep up South Kinsman, but it sounds like you will have day packs only.

Thanks very much, everyone, for your input. It's much appreciated.
Roy, that's correct. We would be leaving the heavy gear at Eliza Brook and summiting with lighter packs. Thanks again.