Ascending Lincoln Slide in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardsale

Reaction score
Anyone done it? Thinking about skiing it and am wondering if the slide can be ascended directly from the bottom rather than what promises to be an unplesant bushwack from the side. I am partcularly concerned about any high angle ice as my party will not have that skillset.

Sierra,

There has been some confusion over which "Lincoln slide" I suspect you assumed I meant the West facing slide commonly called Lincoln's Throat which does have vertical ice at the top and would be insane to attempt to ski. I am talking about the East facing slide which dumps into the Pemi Wilderness. Skiing the upper section will be straightforward but I am not sure about the lower section not visible from the top.

Sierra,

There has been some confusion over which "Lincoln slide" I suspect you assumed I meant the West facing slide commonly called Lincoln's Throat which does have vertical ice at the top and would be insane to attempt to ski. I am talking about the East facing slide which dumps into the Pemi Wilderness. Skiing the upper section will be straightforward but I am not sure about the lower section not visible from the top.

I read a TR from a guy on RocksONTop that climbed it last year. Great pics too.
Skiing? Get out of here!!

Last edited:
MIrabela,

The general slope angle is a relatively safe 30 degrees, which isn't to say there won't be start zones. We do have that skill set.

...wondering if the slide can be ascended directly from the bottom rather than what promises to be an unplesant bushwack from the side. I am partcularly concerned about any high angle ice as my party will not have that skillset.

Skiing the upper section will be straightforward but I am not sure about the lower section not visible from the top.

By far, the easiest way to access the slide with skis is from the top. From the bottom, it's a pretty long stretch off trail to the slide proper.

When we were on it last year in mid January, things were pretty well filled in up top, and it was pretty painless getting down into the slide. I haven't been up there in a month, so I don't know what things look like right now.

We would do it from a hot base camp near the slide bottom over three or four days. Did you get all the way to the valley floor?

The general slope angle is a relatively safe 30 degrees, which isn't to say there won't be start zones. We do have that skill set.

I'd love to know when this slide occurred, and the circumstances behind it. The relative "gentleness" of the slope leads me to believe it must have been one hell of a dry spell, followed by one hell of a rain.

We would do it from a hot base camp near the slide bottom over three or four days. Did you get all the way to the valley floor?

I'll PM ya.

Last edited:
Sierra,

Yes you are correct, Ive done "Lincolns Throat" and I was mistaken about your intention, thats why I deleted my post, it was my error. The Lincoln slide you refer too I am familiar with, Ive climbed it in the summer and it is "low angled" for sure, but as others have said, it prime avy terrain and I suspect would also contain ice mixed in depending on the snowpack depth.

I'd love to know when this slide occurred, and the circumstances behind it. The relative "gentleness" of the slope leads me to believe it must have been one hell of a dry spell, followed by one hell of a rain.

Actually, I think they often come after a wet summer, and then the remnants of a hurricane move thru, dropping several more inches of rain, and ... away it goes.

That's what happened not that long ago (mid '90's?) when an October landslide caused a re-route of the Lions Head trail for winter conditions.