Asolo TPS 520

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Anyone own a pair of Asolo TPS 520 boots? Do you like them? Why? Why not? I'm looking for a pair of year-round water-proof boots when the rain and snow discourage me from my lowtops. Are these ok for winter (moderate snow / moderate temperatures) ?

p.s. How do you pronounce "Asolo"?

2 thumbs up

I have had these boots for about 3 years and they work very well. I must say I am a trail runner convert so I will not rave about their comfort, but as far as boots are concerned they are very comfortable when broken in. On another note, I have never had wet feet with these boots. I find when I wear them hiking I tend to seek out mug and water to walk through.

As for winter use, if you are just planning on doing some day hiking or snowshoeing, they will be perfect. I just climbed Moosilauke with them a few weeks ago without a bother. If your adventures are going to get abit crazier, I would suggest either a mountaineering boot or a nice insulated winter boot. I saw a guy climbing up Lions Head with these last weekend which is well beyond the ability of these boots.

I've had a pair that I've used for about a year and a half and they've been very comfortable for me - I have a somewhat flat foot and also like a lot of room in the toebox. Be aware that Asolos tend to run a bit small, so you may want to try a 0.5 size to even a full size larger than your normal street shoes.

For the most part, I agree with Jkrew81 on the use of these boots in the winter. They should serve you fine for easy to moderate dayhikes in decent weather. I definately wouldn't do anything overnight, or even venture above treeline in them, though - but that's just me.