AT status update (Velvet Rocks to Moosilauke)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whichway

Reaction score
from my local listserv:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:00 AM
Subject: [norwich] DOC NH Appalachian Trail STATUS UPDATE

*Appalachian Trail Status Update (Velvet Rocks to Moosilauke)*

-The number one hazard to hikers on this section is the privy at Hexacuba. The steps are broken and very hazardous when wet. At least two people slipped and fell on sharp rocks while I was there. It should be a quick fix.

-Oliverian Brook immediately afterward northbound hikers cross Rt. 25C has suffered serious erosion. To cross the stream, hikers must now descend a vertical bank, wade across to an island, and then wade to the other side. The water is high and somewhat swift. Alternately, many thru-hikers have been using a footbridge on private land just east of the AT. (There is a map/sign in Jeffers Brook shelter showing how to do this. It's unclear whether or not the bridge owner has given permission for this.)

-There are two major downed trees near Velvet Rocks shelter. Both are on the spur trail that goes over the ridge from the shelter to Ledyard Spring.

-Large sections of the trail ascending and descending both Smarts and Cube are very wet. Constructing more water bars or plank bridges would be helpful, but mostly I think these trail sections just need an opportunity to drain after many consecutive days of heavy rain.

-On the Gorge Brook Trail on Moosilauke, there is a roughly 50 foot section where the trail has been completely washed away. Hikers are forced to climb down a steep embankment, wade across to the other shore of the brook, then wade back across and climb up where the trail resumes. I expect this will be a somewhat major project involving re-routing the trail around the wash-out.

(9/8/2011 - report by Matt Nichols)
-----------------------------------
Dartmouth Outing Club
Robinson Hall, Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
Email: [email protected]