AT Western ME June18-20 Slackpack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
I'm looking for a partner tto slackpack a section of the AT over 3 days. June 18 Bemis range, June 19 Moody and Wyman, June 20 the Baldpates. Would like to run a car shuttle and stay at one of the hiker hostels in the area. I hike at a moderate pace, a bit slower going uphill.

Nadine, A word of advice, the slackpack over up over Old Blue then over Bemis to the height of land is a long day. We did it on a hot day in the summer and it felt a lot longer than it was (especially that last climb up to the parking lot!)

Nadine, in the northbound direction it's a short steep at the beginning, then wooded ridge and col walking (beautiful, especially between Blue and Bemis). After the shelter there's some good ledge hiking, gradually descending to the stream. After the stream it's steep uphill to 17 at the Height of Land, but really quite short. You won't have any trouble at all with it, though I wouldn't want an entire day of that last part! :eek:

The kids and I did it as a two day southbound a couple years ago when it was really dry, and there was no water from the stream all the way to the South Arm road (I THINK that's what the road's called). This year that shouldn't be a problem!

Have a great time--sad I couldn't join you.

I'm looking forward to this hike. It sounds like a splendid time. I'm going to be SOBO, starting at rt17and ending up at South Arm Road day one. I'll carry a couple liters of water, maybe more. The second day I''ll tackle Moody and Wyman, both steep. Finally the Baldpates on day three. By then my feet will be wore out, and I'll be needing a beer :D :D

Wish you could be there.
Nadine