Avery & West Peak 3-6-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
Checked to the AT jct yesterday afternoon. There were 2 vehicles @ the parking area, 1 with NY plates, the other Quebec.

Started at 8:30 thinking of possibly trying for all 3 if the AT or Horns Pond Trail were broken out...they weren't.

After leaving the snomo trails there had been folks on the trail and so no breaking or navigational stuff to do.

Turned out to be a beautiful day, despite the warm temps thus snowballs :eek:

The last 1/4 - 1/2 mile before the col were not generally on the actual trail but OK.

Up there the tree branches were laden with snow hanging low and fairly tight.

The tracks headed for Avery kinda bushwhackin.

Stopped before leaving the trees to change from the waist up, get ready for some breezes and eat.

The track got above treeline quickly and it was GREAT!!!

Down into the little sag, bushwhackin through the few trees then headed to Avery Summit. What a wonderful spot! Spent 8 minutes looking around and taking pictures then back down.

Once down I wandered around a bit and found the actual jct in the col and no tracks headed to West Peak.

Put my hood up, zipped up and followed the AT under/around and through the snow laden branches.

The world above treeline is so special, especially when you have a clear day, the shapes the snow makes on everything...natures sculptures :p

As I was alone I didn't give it a second thought about going to South Horn, eventhough I'm quite sure I could have made it OK. But time was getting short and I'm not very "brave" in that way...

Angled down and left from the jct in the col and soon rejoined the track.

There were lots of snomo's out but didn't see another hiker all day.

Back to the car @5:06 having traveled just about 13 miles.