Baby Backpack Recommendations for the Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just had our first child (a beautiful baby daughter) just over 5 weeks ago now. I'm already looking at baby backpacks, although I know she won't be able to go in one for a little bit...maybe next season.

I'm looking at the Kelty FC 3.0 carrier, which is a great deal on Amazon right now ($118).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this one or had any other recommendations. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Don't know anything about it, but that one has been on Steepandcheap.com today like 5 times, 10 dollars less than what you said it was on Amazon.

Just may want to keep an eye on that site as an FYI.

Edit: In fact, it is up right now for the next 27 minutes (or until sold out,) at 5:45pm.

Last edited:
Ergobaby carrier

You might want to take a look at one of these:http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/
I think the advantages are:
lighter
can put baby on your chest or on your back
baby rides close so you keep them warm and don't whack their heads on branches
If you run it on your chest, you can keep an eye on your child and if you fall you can protect them better. You can also wear a backpack that way. My boy is 35 pounds and still rides in it when he is tired. He just turned 3. :D

Most people use frame carriers, but what's worked best for us is the Ergo carrier. We started hiking with Norah when she was five months old and we still use the Ergo (she's 3.5 years old now). We've logged hundreds of miles on the trail with her and it's been an awesome carrier for us.

Advantages:

can wear in front or back
lightweight, easy to pack and take with you
close to body: very easy for kid to nap (just lays head down on back), doesn't affect balance that much, helps keep kiddo warm in cooler weather

Disadvantages:

close to body: can get hot in summer (we carried multiple outfits and changed whenever we stopped)
no room to carry extra stuff (hasn't been an issue for us since we all hike together and I carry a backpack with everything)
can't put a sun shade on it

Also, one of our most used items for hiking have been Babylegs (leg warmers). They are perfect for hiking - easy to add another layer on the legs without having to remove from the pack, they can go under or over other clothes, etc. Plus, they are really cute. ;-)

Pictures of the Ergo in action, from baby to three year old:

ergo2.jpg

ergo3.jpg

ergo5-1.jpg

Congrats on the baby girl!

From experience with two kids who got real big, real fast (like 20 lbs at 6 mos of age and almost 30 by a year, they're now 11 and 13 yo and dwarf their friends): many kid carriers are quite wimpy in the suspension department. I'd look for the same kind of suspension system that would let you carry, say, 60 lbs of gear comfortably. You don't have the luxury of redistributing weight unless you have a baby with removable parts. (now THAT would be interesting...:eek:)

Also the thing to carry a little extra gear is good, especially if it's detachable and somebody else can carry it!

Congrats- enjoy
Weatherman

Have you considered using a sling instead of a backpack? A sling can be adjusted so the baby is tightly (but comfortably) against your chest/stomach. It can also be adjusted so that your hands are free, and you can carry a normal backpack with gear at the same time. Some slings are made to also carry toddlers. When the child gets a bit older, you can configure the sling so your toddler is carried on your hip.

I used a sling with both my kids and took them everywhere, from hiking to academic conferences (where I'd give talks with infant Alex snoring from within the sling) to my field work with hunter-gatherers overseas. That sling started to feel like part of my body. A bonus was that I could nurse my baby in there and no one could see.

If you're interested, pm me and I can give you some details, or we can come over and help demonstrate -- they can be difficult to figure out the first few times you try to use one. When you get used to one though, it feels like a part of your body.

I'm sure there are great backpacks out there too, sounds like previous posters found some that really worked for them. Just thought I'd toss in the sling idea as something else to consider.

Most people use frame carriers, but what's worked best for us is the Ergo carrier.

Disadvantages:

close to body: can get hot in summer (we carried multiple outfits and changed whenever we stopped)
no room to carry extra stuff (hasn't been an issue for us since we all hike together and I carry a backpack with everything)
can't put a sun shade on it

Also, one of our most used items for hiking have been Babylegs (leg warmers). They are perfect for hiking - easy to add another layer on the legs without having to remove from the pack, they can go under or over other clothes, etc. Plus, they are really cute. ;-)
Congratulations on the baby girl!!
I'll be the third to fully recommend an Ergo. I started hiking with my daughter in an Ergo when she was 5 weeks old. She's still in it, when she's not walking now at 2.25. I've found it the most comfortable, light-weight and versatile carrier out there. (I used a sling for errands, around the house etc. but not hiking.) A couple of possible differences between mine and Pudgy Groundhog's: there is an backpack accessory that attaches to the Ergo allowing me to solo hike with her and carry our extra clothes, food, and water. I wouldn't give it 5 stars, but it does the trick. I use it often. Mine also has a sun shade cover on it, no bug cover though.
I've had her in it in all 4 seasons and she's done great. I did once have her sweaty in summer when she was an infant and on the front, but I also carried an extra onsie.
I've found motherhood and an outdoor baby/kid a far greater joy than I ever imagined. Very happy for you all.

Ah, did not realize there was a backpack or sunshade attachment. Sounds like a good item to have. Is that newer or did we just overlook it I wonder. At least neither have been issues for us as there is always another person to carry a backpack and we aren't in full sun that much (a hat and some sunscreen does the trick when we are). I too used a sling around the house or for errands (and sometimes the Ergo on the front), but hiking was/is always the Ergo.

I have not had to carry a baby, but I've always like the idea of carrying in front - more balanced (especially if you want to carry a pack as well), safer for the baby because you can monitor the baby full time, and safer for the baby in the event of a fall.

Never tried an Ergo...now starting to wish I had. :)

Trish, You seem like you and your kids did pretty well without. :)

Pudgy, I think, from your picture, that beige flap is what I call the sunshade. It snaps over the kid's head and protects from the sun. It also keeps my daughter's head from flopping way off to the side when she falls asleep. That is really where I find it most useful. Well, maybe it's a tie because she also tends to throw her hat to the ground when I carry her which I may or may not notice immediately. Just recently she has learned to unsnap it herself when she is determined she doesn't want anything on her head. :( The pack was purchased separately though, but is made to attach to the Ergo.

I should add that as much as I love the Ergo, we do have a Kelty that we use for backpacking trips which we stated with her at 1.5. The Ergo, even with the backpack can't hold a tent or sleeping bags etc. I don't find the Kelty nearly as comfortable and avoid it unless we are doing an overnight.

I have not had to carry a baby, but I've always like the idea of carrying in front - more balanced (especially if you want to carry a pack as well), safer for the baby because you can monitor the baby full time, and safer for the baby in the event of a fall.
I think it's personal preference. I find my balance much better with baby on the back (for hiking at least, just walking around, in front was fine). Steve actually did slip and fall once with her on his back. He caught himself on a sharp rock and had to get five stitches. Norah was sleeping and never woke up!

Trish, You seem like you and your kids did pretty well without
ITA. lol.

Ah, I guess we've never used that flap for a sunshade, just for napping. We do most of our hiking in the Catskills and locally and those trails are mostly in the woods, so sun hasn't been too big of an issue. The attachable pack definitely sounds handy. We mostly day hike. We did a backpacking trip last year - I carried Norah and Steve carried 60-70 lbs. :eek:

Hey Everyone,

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring the post...just been busy with the new born and time gets the best of me these days! :)

TDawg - I'm not addicted to Steepandcheap.com...thanks for introducing me to it!

pudgy_groundhog and everyone else who mentioned the Ergo - I had never heard of this brand pack before. Looks very comfortable and great for the baby. My biggest concern is the fact that it gets really hot with the little one pressed up against you in the summer months. However, it looks great for fall, spring and winter. I think we may just try one out!

Trish - We definitely will be using a sling when its not hot out. We now have two in the house that we are trying here and there. We have the Dr. Sears Balboa Baby and the Moby Wrap. For walks around Portsmouth and Exeter, Jill seems to be favoring the Moby Wrap...but it just gets so hot in there. I worry about the baby being overheated. Again, I'm sure this is mostly due to the warm temps of summer.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. She's 6 weeks now and I can't wait to introduce her to the trails!

Karl

We use the Kelty 2.0? Like the 3.0 w/o the sun shade. It is pretty good. Just enough pack space for the basics of a dayhike. Baby likes it plenty. Stability okay except care needed when putting on and taking off.

Trish - We definitely will be using a sling when its not hot out. We now have two in the house that we are trying here and there. We have the Dr. Sears Balboa Baby and the Moby Wrap. For walks around Portsmouth and Exeter, Jill seems to be favoring the Moby Wrap...but it just gets so hot in there. I worry about the baby being overheated. Again, I'm sure this is mostly due to the warm temps of summer.

Karl

There used to be a site called Kangaroo Kids that sold slings for summer use. During hot weather, I used a mesh-type thing that you could take in a swimming pool, and it had UV protection. Unfortunately, those slings don't appear to be around anymore. I gave mine away to a new mom a few years ago, otherwise I'd send it your way.

However -- here's a site that might help: http://www.theslingstation.com/summer.html Please note that I've never used any of these summer slings, but several have features that remind me of my old one.

Last edited: