Balsam Lake and Millbrook Mountains 6/17-19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This was another weekend at the cabin, but with a few twists.

Starting out Friday, I found a bullet sticking up out of my floor! :eek: :eek:

Needless to say, my day was very stressful, but thank god, no one was hurt.

I made it to the trailhead just about on time, and Laurie and I walked up to the Cabin in a little over an hour, hauling more or less full packs. The cabin has a coleman stove, fuel, and cots, but that was about all we used of their stuff. We managed to get an awesome sunset and saw the Milky Way a few hours later when I answered the call of nature.

In the morning, the sun woke us up around 5:00 AM and we trundled back up the tower to see sunrise at 5:22 AM behind Blackhead. Pretty cool! We started an early morning hike/trailwork session over to Millbrook at about 6:30. It rained a good bit of the hike, but we didn't mind too much. The trail over to Millbrook is in pretty good shape, but needs a lot of brushing out. That led to us getting soaked! We got back to the tower around 9:30 AM and changed into dry clothes and hung our wet stuff up to dry from the tower. This worked pretty well, because the wind was blowing pretty steadily Saturday. It didn't seem too hot up at 3700', but I guess it was pretty warm lower down. 20 people visited the tower Saturday, and we showed them the cabin and let them see the 'views from the top' of the firetower. I 'busted' one guy for throwing a banana peal into the woods, and he went and got it and packed it out. (And everyone wonders why there are so many flies at the top of the mountain!)

Sunday, Night Dog showed up early in the morning and said hi as he flew by on his grid quest. :D We also had 2 other guests who stopped by to chat. Around 10:00, we started packing up and stowing the flags, and stuff that we leave out for displays. On our way down, we met another woman who was hiking up alone. That was about it for human contact until we hit the trailhead.

After that, we traveled to both of Father's Father's Day celebrations. A good time was had by all! :D

I'll put some pics up when I get a chance...

Beautiful pictures Tom. It was nice to see you and laurie in the a.m. Sunday. I did make over to Balsam,and Eagle that day. When I climbed the tower ,the cool breeze felt good. What a great view from the tower. Thank's for sharing the photos.

hermit said:
Beautiful pictures Tom. It was nice to see you and laurie in the a.m. Sunday. I did make over to Balsam,and Eagle that day. When I climbed the tower ,the cool breeze felt good. What a great view from the tower. Thank's for sharing the photos.
Thanks, but nature gets all the credit for putting on such a great show! :D

Keep up the grid, I mean good work! :D

Last edited: