Barren Mountain ME (AT 100mile Wilderness) 5.6.12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I hiked to the AT via the Otter Pond approach, a logging road accessed north of Monson and Guilford ME just north of Borestone Mtn. Sanctuary and Bodfish (see Delorme Maine Atlas if curious). The approach is an old skid path or overgrown log road used my most of the locals to access the AT here. It has occasional flagging but is easy to follow otherwise albeit swampy after the recent rain. The trip up the AT hits several points of interest including Barren Slide (short sidetrail) and Barren Ledge basically on AT with views of 180+ degrees. Just below the Ledge and Slide is Onowa Lake and Sebec Lake just beyond. Borestone Mtn is directly across Onowa Lake. The mountains to the West and SW including the Bigelows which are easy to identify. Less than two miles from the Ledge is the summit which is a relatively level hike for the most part with a short climb right below the summit. (Most elevation gain was made in the first mile of the AT). An old firetower is on the summit. The frame is all that stands and the top lays in ruins next to the frame. The summit is wooded at 2600+ feet but one can climb up a few steps of the ladder and get 360 views that take in the same view as the Ledge as well as Moosehead Lake, Greenville Airport, Lily Bay Range, Kineo, White Cap range, and the rest of Barren Chairback Range. Katahdin is blocked by the White Cap range unfortunately. Another mile and change on the AT brings you to Cloud Pond and Cloud Pond Lean-to. The 16 acre pond is nestled about 2200' or so and very isolated. You feel like you are in the 100 mile wilderness at the pond.
The total trip was about 10 or so miles out and back with about 2000 ft of vertical climb. The trail which is sheltered beyond the Ledge and Slide was moderatly muddy. Beyond the summit it was muddier still but most of the bog bridges were decayed beyond use. It appeared as though the MATC was planning on replacing them as some supplies (Pins to hold bog bridges in place) were visible and fresh bog bridges were installed on blue blaze trail to pond and shelter. A few patches of lingering snow even were visible north of the summit.

Last edited: