Bears at Marcy Dam

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankmccain

Reaction score
I haven't camped at Marcy Dam in a few years but I hear there are still plenty of bears. The last time I stayed there, canisters were not en vogue yet and we hung bear bags. We never lost anything but I guess I'd rather use a canister to be safe.

What is the best way to use the canister there? Hang it in the trees? Or put it on that wire across the dam?

I remember people used to hang bags over the side wall of the dam. We used to go down there at night and watch the bears pull them up, paw over paw, and have a midnight snack. (The first time we saw this happening, we tried to chase them off, but they weren't too afraid of us...)

Place a canister on the ground away from camp where it can role away. Don't hang them. The size of the canister is such that a bear can't get it's jaws around it and is sturdy enough that they can't brake inside of it.

Heed lumberzac's advice. Although I have never witnessed this, by hanging the canister, you offer the bear a convenient handle and a chance to make off with your food. Assuming the canister is impregnable, the bear will not actually get your food, but neither will you.