Bears, Dogs & Guns at West Hartford, CT location popular with runners and hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
WEST HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) - It was a frightening morning near the West Hartford Reservoir after a bear attacked a dog Monday.

Environmental police, West Hartford's Animal Control officers and officials from the Metropolitan District Commission headed down the trails into the woods and spent the morning looking for the bear that attacked the dog.

<snipped by moderator>

http://www.wfsb.com/story/19031979/bear-attacks-dog-in-west-hartford

Last edited by a moderator:
The article doesn't say how the dog was injured...

Doug

http://www.boston.com/news/local/co...says_it_wont_cite_dog_owner_who_shot_at_bear/

Sounds like the dog was actually injured by the bear according to this article - sadly not a good outcome for the dog though :(

Hannah and I used to walk and hike in that area all the time when we lived in West Hartford in '08-'09, and once in the woods we ran into a good-sized coyote (I'd guess 60-70lb since it was definitely bigger than Hannah) - fortunately Hannah didn't do anything silly, but another good reminder that you never know what you'll encounter out there, even so close to a highly populated area!

As much as I love dogs, that is the risk you take by letting you pooch run free. I hope there are no consequences for the bear. Also, eight shots AT the bear and no blood? I hope there wasn't anyone close by on the otherside.:eek:

About two years ago my dog and I were running up an old logging road on a local mountain here in SoVT. I keep him on a lead when we run and he loves it. We were downwind and the whole time I could tell by the way he was acting there was something around. I was thinking a deer or two was going to come running out of the woods. A quarter of a mile later we came around a switchback and he just stopped. I picked my head up and there was a good size bear about 20-30 feet in front of us. The bear had his head down in some berries or something and had no idea we were even there! We backed up slowly and ran back to the truck with me making a lot of noise. When I got home I had to change my shorts!