Beginner Ice Climbing Class Partners Wanted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
I want to take a beginner's ice climbing class on either Feb 16th or 17th up in the daks. It would be a lot more fun & less expensive if I could get a few other people to take it with me. There's several great guides that have been recommended but I've narrowed it down to Ian from Adk Mountain Guides (as long as he's still available during those times). I'm just your average hiker with no rock climbing experience so if anyone else is interested in some thrills please let me know.

No guts no glory!

Ok I tried - almost 50 people read my thread & not one person has the balls to take the class with me! you're all a bunch of wusses :D

slow reader

Hey Shadow!
I could be convinced. I have no rock experience either.
What is the cost? Let me know if this is still an option to join youall.

Thanks!:)

Mt. Washington ??

We have an opening for someone interested in joining a guided three day winter mountaineering course in February. Intro to Ice climbing/Ice ax use and summit of Mt. Washington, possibly a technical climb up one of the ravine trails. Its not the dak's but should be interesting.

Course is being given by a local NH company.

E-mail me if your interested.

[email protected]

ice climbing - you HAVE to try it once!

update: i took a beginner class the 16th, with ian from adk mountain guides. i have to admit that as we headed up the trail to the "ice" my knees got weak & i couldn't help think i may have gotten myself in over my head. but ian was great. besides being incredibly knowledgeable he was encouraging & just fun to be around. it was pretty cold that day but we went to a little valley off the road & the ice we practiced on was only 40-45' - i can say "only" now! you are top-roped in so after getting the basics down off i went. it was just so much fun. you have the security of both your feet being cramponed in and the ice axes supporting you. i went up and down until my wrists got so tired and weak i couldn't hammer my axe in any more. the thing i thought was really cool was you have ian for as long as you want. he's not a clock-watcher. i would have loved to proceed to another more challenging location (we were going to head over to roaring brook falls), but because my arms were tuckered out we went to his place and learned about top roping, doing different knots & learned a lot about the area & local folklore. if you are bored & want to try something different DO IT! it really was so much fun & i definitely want to get back again before the ice is gone. i HIGHLY recommend ian/adk mountain guides. he knows many out of the way spots to climb in case one spot is too crowded. if i can do this, anyone can & it's a great to go into work monday morning and show all the pics to your co-workers who sat inside on their butts all weekend.