bent crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capoken

Reaction score
ok, so I spent the extra money and made sure i got snow shoes with stainless steel crampons. I took them out and after 20 minutes the cramons were kind of snagle toothed. I straightened them out and the next day we went for an extended hike and I was much more careful not to put my weight on a foot that was not in deep snow. They bent a lot less, but they still got a little out of shape. There was not a lot of snow (6" max?). So are out of shape cramp ons just one of those things you deal with? Or did I buy the world's worst snow shoes?

I am too. I have walked, jumped off ledges and landed on rocks and never once bent the crampons. Sound like you bought a cheap pair or you got one of those friday made shoes.

They are stellar brand of shoes. The cramp ons are VERY aggresive compared with those of my friends. I'm thinking that this may have had something to do with it, combined with the fact that I did step on a couple boulders before i realized the potential to bend. But you say you've jumped and landed on rocks with out bending yours? Ok, that makes me want to send mine back!

www.stellarsnowshoes.com

Stellar-- ouch!

Sorry Dude.

Haven't heard much good stuff about Stellar. I use Atlas, Crescent Moon and MSR. Never had a problem anywhere. Good shot that you could get your money back, though. Give it a shot. You never know.

N'E

they are warenteed by the manufacturer for 3 years and the seller promises a moneyback garentee for life, so i am not worried about getting my money back. What HAVE you heard about stellar?

But you say you've jumped and landed on rocks with out bending yours?

Just a word of caution on that comment. I don't care what brand of snowshoe someone uses, jumping and landing on rocks WILL eventually stress out the frame which will cause them to break.

Also, snowshoe crampons are typically made of aluminium or an alloy with a large component of aluminimum and are not the same as crampons made by Grivel where steel, I believe is the major component. BIG DIFFERENCE.