Beta, please, on Jefferson and/or Adams, Castle, Israel, Gulfside?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering either Jefferson and/or Adams for this weekend. Ideally, I'd like to do both from Bowman via the Castle Trail, Gulfside, Israel Ridge, etc.

Has anyone been up there recently? I'm concerned about ice/snow/footing on around the castles, and the requirement(s) for crampons and/or snowshoes -- my partner in this endeavor owns microspikes only.

Any other areas that might be a problem? Stream crossings? There don't appear to be any stream crossing warnings in the WMG. I could also go via Lowe's Path but prefer the Castle Trail.

Besides Jefferson and Adams (2), I have the whole Wildcat-Carter-Moriah range (6) plus the Twins, Zealand and Hale (4) (likely to necessitate snowshoes), Carrigain and Jackson (47 & 48, so those are out...) So, if any of those are arguably better choices, I'm listening.

Oh, and is there a parking fee/WM recreation pass required at Bowman?

Thanks,
Tim

Parking pass is required at Bowman.

Castle to Jefferson
Gulfside

There's a stream crossing down low on the Castle trail that can be interesting in high water. I suspect there will be a lot of snow up high above 3500' before you hit treeline.

I read those the other day, thanks Dave, they form part of the picture (missing Israel). I will bump this over the weekend -- since I am planning on Monday -- so if anyone does these trails, I'd like to hear it, especially if there is new snow before then.

Any opinions on which direction? Instinctively, I want to go up the Castle Trail -- it appears more knee-friendly in this direction -- and I could go down Lowe's Path and walk 1 mile west to Bowman if need be.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Instinctively, I want to go up the Castle Trail -- it appears more knee-friendly in this direction -- and I could go down Lowe's Path and walk 1 mile west to Bowman if need be.

Tim

Another suggestion would be to park the car at Lowe's store, pay the 2 bucks, walk or hitch the one mile to Bowman and then go up the Castle trail. Your car will be waiting at the end of your hike and you won't have to buy a parking pass. :D

Thanks. For $1 more I could just park at Bowman (I have a pass, but I'm not driving). Plus, I really want to do this loop exactly as stated above. Unless there is a good reason not to -- no recent trail conditions mentions Israel Ridge Path (I can't actually search though I did read them over.)

Reasons not too:

High water (not likely, very dry everywhere)
Steep and icy
Deep snow (my companion doesn't "do" snowshoes)

Tim

Why? Because I want to.

My other outstanding peaks are likely to be much snowier -- Carter-Moriah-Wildcats (6), Twins-Zealand-Hale (4), Carrigain and Jackson (saved for 47 & 48). Moriah is possibly the best choice, logistically, but my companion this weekend has done it already and voted for Adams and/or Jefferson.

We can always skip Adams if it takes too long to get up to Jefferson.

Tim

Hale - Essentially snow free according to trip report

Tim -

If you need Hale, someone just posted that it was basically snow free. I am sure you saw that TR though.

I would not say that the Carters or Twins would necesarily be any more snowy than the Presidentials at this stage.

Just a couple of thoughts for your plans. Happy Trails.

Enapai

How high, how wooded & what side of the mountain the trail is in will impact how much snow you will find.

The Twinway (between South Twin & Guyot & near Zealand) & Franconia Ridge between Liberty & Little Haystack will be two of the last places you will find snow outside of the ravines. Expect some as you enter the trees on Garfield Ridge, near Garfield as you descend Lafayette & some trails in the Presidentials will have snow. GG likely. If I was doing Madison &/or Adams I'd look at Airline as it breaks out of the trees fairly low. The upper section of Valley way should be full of snow.

Also OBP has a lot less snow than Falling waters because it's south facing.

The Trail Condition Dave highlighted above for Castle Ridge Trail says (for May 17, 2008)

mountaingirl said:
Castle ridge trail are mostly just bare rocks, a few short stretch of ice left near tree line;

Israel Ridge Trail faces the same way, is itself on a ridge top, and absent any data to the contrary, I would theorize it would be in similar condition. Is that not true?

I hope the forecast improves. I want to do this loop for the views of / from the Castles. If it's mostly cloudy and/or showering, that makes it much-less attractive. Alas, I must go to a wedding out of state Saturday night and so Monday is my only free day. Right now, Sunday looks the best.

Thanks all,
Tim

The river crossing at beginning of Castle trail is not an issue last week. I, being short and nervous about river crossing all the time, was able to hop over rocks with the help of one pole. Water was quite calm.

No traction or snow shoes needed for the loop of Castle-Jefferson-Adams-Lowes Path. Poles definitely help. Only some snow patch left between Jefferson and Addams, rotten but short, few postholes that doesn't justify the need of snowshoes etc. I didn't even bother with gaiter.

I expect even less snow or ice patches left by next Monday.

David Metsky mentioned a parking pass is required at bowman trailhead. I was just there tuesday-wednsday and didn't notice any evidence a pass was required. I looked for the normal signs, collection box etc. I may have just got lucky, no ticket or anything. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks
Glenn

mountaingirl said:
I didn't find any evidence for paying the pass there either.
It used to be there, did they remove it? Or is my memory playing tricks on me? If the parking area is on state land (like Appalachia) then there's no fee and my memory is going.

Bowman - From this trailhead on Rt 2 you can reach the Castellated Ridge, Israel Ridge and Castle Ravine trails. The trailhead is located 1.0 mile west of Lowe's Store and 4.2 miles east of the junction of Rt 2 and 115. A WMNF Parking Pass is required.
Bowman - From this trailhead on Rt 2 you can reach the Castellated Ridge, Israel Ridge and Castle Ravine trails. The trailhead is located 1.0 mile west of Lowe's Store and 4.2 miles east of the junction of Rt 2 and 115. A WMNF Parking Pass is NOT required.

Wow, magic!

Tim

Incidentally, and just for completeness, I ended up hiking the Sugarloaves with my wife and kids instead. In part because of threat of T-storms and in part because they wanted to go hiking and I wasn't going to pass up that opportunity... so there isn't any beta to report on.

Tim