Big Slide (08.29.04)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Haven't posted in awhile d/t getting ready for college then actually getting up here and getting settled.

I soloed Big Slide sunday morning - watching the sun rise from the first set of cliffs you get to on the First Brother. Great hike. The trail is in awsome shape - a little hard to follow along the 1st and 2nd brothers unless you're REALLY looking for the red paint blazes. It took me just over 5 hours - 0515 till 1030. I spent a total of 1.5 hours sitting though, so my hiking time was under four hours. Great little morning hike.

peace
Oysterhead

pics are here.

Welcome back! :) Nice shrouded peaks.

I was thinking of saving this as #46 so any non-hiker friends who want to come could... how would you rate this hike? Moderate? Difficult?

Hiking over the brothers is a pretty tough hike. I imagine if you made it back through John's Brook trail it would be a lot easier. All the ups and downs wear you out. I took my parents up there, we left at 2pm, and they made it to about 1/4 mile from the summit. (I went on to JBL for the night) They barely had any light on the way out. Probably not the easiest hike for non-hikers. The views are good, but I think the views are better at Cascade and Whiteface, which would also make good last peaks. I am saving Colden for mine. Which peaks do you have left? Oh, and there are blueberries on the way up the brothers in August. Yummy.

-percious

As a somewhat experienced hiker I thought it was easy. But I definetly passed a group of "cotton climbers" who looked like the first brother was beating the piss out of them. It's definetly a decieving climb - the trek to the 3rd Brother and then the summit is longer then i thought it would be. Coming up from JBL is easier but longer.

peace
Oysterhead

The loop over The Brothers and down to JBL is my favorite moderate High Peak hike. Mud isn't bad and the views from The Brothers and Big Slide are amazing. I also like climbing right away instead of having a long approach like many High Peaks have. And that last 1/4 mile up to the top of Big Slide is literally breathtaking.