Big Slide Aug 4, 2007 My 46th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirobdack46r

Reaction score
2007_08_04 Big Slide ceremonial 46r hike
(or 47 however you want to look at it, as I bagged MacNaughton a couple weeks before)

Seldom does one get to experience such a perfect hike. I gathered eight friends to accompany me on this ceremonial hike to complete my 46. Environmental conditions were of the best I have ever hiked in. A little warm but not to the point of being too hot. Very clear, made for gorgeous views. And no need for bug dope, but for a few ground bugs hovering a couple wet areas there were no other bugs harassing us. These conditions made for a perfect stay on the summit. Two bottles of bubbly were packed on ice and carried to the summit for the celebration, did not take long for those to disappear, should have brought more :). On some hikes you never get a view till the summit, hiking Big Slide via The Brothers it does not take long before reaching the first open area with a nice view and they keep on coming. I would definitely put this hike near the top of a list based on accumulative time with great views. With a 2700ft elevation change over about 3.5miles the trail starts right out at a relatively steep grade with little or no warm up period wearing you out quickly if not prepared. The day ended with my hiking party meeting my wife, two year old son, Mother-in-law and Father-in-law at the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery for food and rinks. Could not have asked for a more perfect day spent with friends and family to complete my quest on. Of the eight friends to hike to the summit with me, three were already ADK46rs, Three went up but FOUR came back down.

A hearty congrats! Big Slide was my 46th, as well - 3 weeks ago! Maybe it is a more popular peak to finish on than I thought...

Congrats on the 46! Honestly I think Big Slide is a really overlooked mountain. It is a lot of fun. Lots of slabs, and tons of great views. Definitely not a boring uphill walk! I was really surprized by the mountain last fall as it turned out to be a real gem.

Congratulations on becoming a 46'r.
I think that is a great thing.

I plan on finishing on Big Slide when my turn comes.