Big Spencer - a Study in Blue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Big Spencer taken from the Spencer Bay Road crossing of Lazy Tom Stream

abf.jpg

This photo was taken in August of 2005 with a Canon Powershot 85. It was taken in auto mode and unfortunately the metadata that gives the shutter speed and f-stop has been lost due to a photo editor I used at the time deleting the metadata.

It breaks various rules for framing but I got what I wanted which is an iconic picture of this mountain.

Things I like:

- Good depth of field
- Various shades of blue (stream, mountain, sky) which set off the major elements
- I like that rock in the forground (and its reflection) - somehow it sets the scale. Even the twig on the rock is inviting.

Things I would like to hear about

- anything you have tio say :)
- critiques on framing/cropping
- color enhancing (post processing)
- If going beyond auto mode, what suggestions would you make

Thanks

(Here goes my first attempt to critique... take it as such. Since I've learned some stuff from posting my photos, I will attempt to return the favor... Everyone feel free to critique my critique!)

IMO, there is too much sky. Since there is nothing in the sky to give it character, I might cut it off some. The mountain is close to the rule of thirds, perhaps the bottom should be sitting on the upper 1/3 line?

The rock in the foreground gives some scale, but perhaps it could be a bit higher and more to the left.

The foreground is much cleaner and clearer then the far away stuff like the mountain. I've had this happen to me many, many times in my photos. The opinion here has been that it is due to haze. (I have a A70 and have always used full auto mode.)

I will say this: Being an avid hiker AND fisherman, this scene is quite inviting to me and the shot does make me want to experience this place for myself. I.e., I like it.

How did I do?

Tim
p.s. photoshop a nice rainbow trout rising to take a fly and I'm there!

I really like the blue cast to the haze in this, and the good sense of Depth that you had mentioned. The detail in the foreground, and vibrant colors are very nice as well.

I agree with hbf that there is a bit too much sky in this. A crop to 6x4, all from the sky, will fix this nicely. The rock is a bit too far in the lower right corner for my taste. It looks like it had a nice reflection as well, perhaps that could have been included, and fixed the former.

Otherwise, this is a really nice shot, one I would have enjoyed very much taking!

I like this picture very much. The vibrant blue and green colors are quite nice. What follows are my suggestions on how you might tweak your fine image.

I agree there is probably too much sky is included given that there are no clouds, and we have the large area of reflected sky included which is more saturated and interesting. You do not want to crop too much of the sky, as you do not want to be left with just the white sky at the horizon,

You did not mention if you were using a polarizer, but I assume not with this camera. I think the photo could improve from some additional polarization to intensify the conifers (which appear washed out by the bright light) and potentially the mountain. There would still be haze on the mountain - which is OK as it provides another shade of blue.

I agree with the comments on the rock. It is trapped in the lower right corner. The rock and its reflection needs more space to breathe. If you got closer to the ground and moved to the right, you could give the rock more presence in the picture. There is something very appealing about the similarity in the shape of the rock and of Big Spencer which you could emphasize more. Perhaps zoom in just a bit to make the rock larger in the photo, if you cannot come any closer.

OK, I know you said you liked the twig on the rock. And this can be a legitimate point of personal preference. If the rock can be made to loom larger in the photo, that twig will become more distracting and I would recommend removing it from the rock. Then there is the question how to remove it without going for a swim. Sometimes a long dead branch or a hiking pole can be pressed into service. Many photographers carry squeezable, spray, water bottles (not for drinking) or water guns to fill with river or pond water. They will then spray down any nearby dry rocks in their photos. You will notice there are several rocks in your photo that appear white as a result of the drying affect of the bright sun. If the dry rocks were dampened down they would have more natural color and would not be distracting attention catchers. Wet rocks may also require the polarizer to remove any glare off the wet rock. And a fringe benefit, the force of the spray bottle/gun might remove that twig from the rock.

Last edited:
PB - I like the shot. I'd like to do some fishing there too. If a shot makes you want to be there, then that goes a long way.

I would really like to see a sunrise/sunset shot from this spot. Quality light could really make this image location pop. One other thing is that I find the rock a little too close to the edge of the frame. I like the inclusion of the rock, but it needs some more space to make it look like it really belongs in the shot and that you have it there on purpose. I would really like to be able to see the full reflection of the rock.

Shoot it again! :D Tough "assignment", huh? Going back there would be torture.

- darren