Bigalow Ridge (ME) Camping Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone know the present situation wrt camping between Avery and West Avery?

Are there legal sites/platforms in the col? If so how many?

I know the leanto is gone...

cb

I was there last July. I started at the trailhead on Route 27 heading north.

Although the Myron Avery Lean-to was removed some years ago, it is a picturesque and very popular tent site. Folks like to camp there because of the great views. Expect it to be cold though!

I kept going to the next site down the north side of Avery - Stafford Notch Campsite. Also very nice and much less crowded. But no views.

I was up there about a month ago (photos here ). There are three or four tent platforms in the col. As Papa said, it's a popular spot so I'm sure they fill up quick. There is a caretaker in the summer and I believe there is a small fee to camp.

I stayed at the Avery col tent site (can't remember the name) last summer and there is no fee. There are about 4 platforms near the outhouse with a great view towards Sugarloaf. There's also a group (i.e. large) platform at the intersection of the AT and Firewardens trail. There are also several spots where you could set up a tent if the platforms are full.

Water is a bit scarce so bring a filter. There's a small pool in some rocks that serves as the main water supply for the tent site. There's also a spring part way up the trail to Avery.

I hope you have great weather. The views from Avery peak are fantastic!

It's not far to Horns Pond where there's a leanto and tentsites last I knew.

Horns Pond has a couple lean-tos, many tent sites and (best of all) the famous solar outhouses! It's worth a stop even if you don't stay there, and be sure to check out the Pond.