Bike & Hike - Isolation 7/30 (and other July peaks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno

Reaction score
Sunday was an amazing day to be in the mountains. To keep up with trying to finish the NH 4kers this summer, I headed to Isolation for what was to be a great day. I decided to take the Glen Boulder trail to the Davis, Davis to Isolation, then back on the Rocky Branch trail (rt 13.3 miles not including walk to trailhead). I dropped my car off at the Rocky Branch trail head, and hitched up to Glen Boulder, hiking about 3/4 mile before I got a ride. (for those interested, there are a ton of ripe blueberries on the hill between the rocky branch parking and rt 16, I had a few handfuls, but left at least half a ton :)).

Though it was hot at the beginning of the hike (before getting above the trees, as well as on the hike down, the rest of the hike from glen boulder up to 5k feet had a cool breeze. It was probably in the low-mid 60's with the wind. perfect!

At the intersection of Davis and Glen Boulder trails I stopped for a sandwich and talked to the only hiker I'd see on the way to isolation, a caretaker at the hermit shelter. We both concurred that it was the best day (weather wise) on the mountains thus far this summer.

The views from above tree line were spectacular. Great views of the Wildcats and Carters, as well as the southern presidentials, the sandwich range, and the franconias. Everything was clear and cool.

The hike downhill to Isolation was somewhat quick and easy, very nice trail. I must admit though that I didn't want to go back below tree line, but such is life.

Once on the summit of Isolation, I met a woman who topped out to finish her 48th NH summit. She was with a couple others and drinking a bottle of champaign when I got there. She had started in the 1970's. Awesome!

I stayed on the summit of Isolation for over an hour as it was so nice, I didn't want to leave. I only wish I had brought more film.

Isolation was #38 for me. 10 more to go.

July NH 4k peaks:
07/07 Twin North Peak
07/07 Twin South Peak
07/07 Galehead
07/19 Passaconaway
07/19 Whiteface
07/22 Carrigan
07/24 Cabot
07/27 Hancock
07/27 Hancock South peak
07/30 Isolation