Black Mountain not opening for 2023-2024 season - Never mind

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdo...aL5o8lr1ABqmXs9vPBo&utm_medium=organic-social
“It is with sadness that we share that Black Mountain Ski Area will not open for the 2023-2024 season,” wrote the Fichera family, resort owners since 1995, in a statement. “Due to circumstances beyond our control, including soaring energy costs, unpredictable weather, extreme staffing shortages throughout the region, and many other challenges, we have made the very difficult decision to cease operations.”

GIven the crazy real estate market in the area, my guess is developers will be waiting in line to chop it up into estate lots.

They've been keeping the doors open with real estate sales for a while now, a lot of that hill is already chopped up and owned by an HOA. The writing has been on the wall since well before the current economic climate. Too bad. I liked riding the horses up to the cabin in the summer.

I had never set foot on Black Mt till this year. I went up the old ski trail to the cabin and the true summit. It's a nice little mountain, I can only imagine the fiscal challenges of operating such a ski area.