Black Nubble-SW Black Nubble 9/4/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
For the first time in 6 weeks Sadie joined me. I figured these two were dog friendly and they were. I followed Kurt and Mark's directions from 3 weeks ago although I'm sure I went some places that they didn't. The logging road in was in decent shape. The parking place is exactly 7 Miles in from Rt 16.

The trip up Black Nubble started out as a logging road, turned into an ATV trail and finally became just Orange flagging thru the woods and around the side of the peak. It was pretty rough going so I left the flagging and just took off up and over the shoulder. I regained the flagging on top of the shoulder but it soon led into a thicket of 12' Spruce. I found the flagging again off to the right but there was no trail. It seemed to lead up and over every blowdown it could find. By this time I was quite sick of the Orange flagging. Soon I came out to the first clearing where a wind monitor was stationed. After that there was a nice trail to a second clearing and from the end of that clearing it was only a 4-5 min. easy bushwhack to the summit and jar. The notes were loose in the jar so I left a ziplock bag. For those of you who did this peak in '86 and '89 I'm sure it was a lot different then. The trip back down was easier as I found the trail Kurt mentioned that led off the mountain and back to the logging road in the valley.

SW Black Nubble was next. I followed a muddy ATV track up to the ridge, found another clearing with wind monitoring equipment and yes more Orange flagging. Did I mention that I was sick of Orange flagging? After walking around clueless for a few minutes I saw higher ground off to the left (East) so I headed for it but the top of the ridge was total crap. After more up and over blowdowns I finally reached the summit and the jar. Sadie was still behind me, she's a real trooper. From the summit I headed down thru Spruce and raspberries until the road was reached.

It didn't rain on us at all but I got soaked from all the traipsing thru Spruce. Sadie also chased what I think was a weasel but she came back. The whole trip was just over 5 hours. It seemed a lot longer than that but it was a lot of fun!
Gamehiker

No, more likely the Wind farm people would close access if their project was approved. A lot of SERE people had signed in the jars and there was a pretty good looking trail headed south from SW Nubble. There doesn't seem to be a fence around navy property. I'm not sure if there are any no trespassing signs other than the one on the main Redington road.
When I hiked with dms, he thought it might be a good idea to get these peaks sooner rather than later because of the wind project.
Gamehiker

Gamehiker said:
When I hiked with dms, he thought it might be a good idea to get these peaks sooner rather than later because of the wind project.
I agree. If the project is approved they will not want hikers near the turbines. If it isn't, they may close the property just to be mean.