Acadia National Park 2023

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello old friends!

After a six-month hiatus that I mostly spent recreating on two wheels, I got away with my wife for a week in Acadia National Park. The forecast on the day of our departure was for rain every day, including Hurricane Lee towards week's end. OK, not ideal, but we made do with shorter trips, lower trips, and rain gear on the less pleasant days. We got out every day, and I rode twice (in the rain) as well, once up Cadillac and once on the Carriage Roads. Even in the foggy, cloudy, and damp conditions, Acadia did not disappoint, and we had what I would consider three decent days where the views were long.

On Saturday evening when we arrived, we went to Bragen Preserve / Indian Point, as it was close, where we had a nice sunset and saw a young porky:

IMG_9120.jpgIMG_9132.jpg

On Sunday, we did a loop up The Beehive, past The Bowl, up Champlain via the South Ridge, and while there, decided to do The Precipice, so we descended the North Ridge, took the Orange and Black Path back to the ladder section, and re-climbed Champlain. From there we backtracked to The Bowl, and then to Gorham, Sand Beach, and Great Head. Given the forecast, we did "everything" we wanted to do from the Sand Beach parking area all in one day :)

precipice.jpgIMG_9223.jpg
Monday brought mostly cloudy/foggy weather so we walked around Eagle Lake and checked out the limited views from Conner's Nubble.
IMG_9265.jpg
Tuesday rained in the morning, but I opted to ride up Cadillac Mountain anyway. No views, but I had a decent time and it was fun, albeit sketchy, descending in the rain. In the afternoon, we went up Beech Cliff via the ladder trail, and then Norumbega right before dinner. The latter offered no views, although we saw a juvenile bald eagle at Lower Hadlock Pond. Wenesday also rained, and I rode the Carriage Roads for a while in scattered showers and occasional downpours, including an ascent of Day Mountain while the water ran downhill beneath my wheels.

Thursday afternoon, things cleared up so we did a loop up Dorr, The Gorge, and Cadillac, descening the North Ridge and taking the bus back to the car. The trail was wet, with 2+" of running water in some places, but the summits were clear and the views were fine.

IMG_9388.jpg
IMG_9406.jpg

Friday, the park closed the campgrounds at 10am and the roads at 5pm, to make way for Lee. We did Jordan Cliff Trail to Sargent and then Penobscot, followed by lunch at Jordan Pond, prior to driving home.
IMG_9437.jpgIMG_9460.jpgIMG_9499.jpg

Hope you all are well!

Tim

Last edited:
Great pictures. Always a special part of The Planet.

Hello old friends!

After a six-month hiatus that I mostly spent recreating on two wheels, I got away with my wife for a week in Acadia National Park. The forecast on the day of our departure was for rain every day, including Hurricane Lee towards week's end. OK, not ideal, but we made do with shorter trips, lower trips, and rain gear on the less pleasant days. We got out every day, and I rode twice (in the rain) as well, once up Cadillac and once on the Carriage Roads. Even in the foggy, cloudy, and damp conditions, Acadia did not disappoint, and we had what I would consider three decent days where the views were long.

On Saturday evening when we arrived, we went to Bragen Preserve / Indian Point, as it was close, where we had a nice sunset and saw a young porky:

View attachment 7261View attachment 7262

On Sunday, we did a loop up The Beehive, past The Bowl, up Champlain via the South Ridge, and while there, decided to do The Precipice, so we descended the North Ridge, took the Orange and Black Path back to the ladder section, and re-climbed Champlain. From there we backtracked to The Bowl, and then to Gorham, Sand Beach, and Great Head. Given the forecast, we did "everything" we wanted to do from the Sand Beach parking area all in one day :)

View attachment 7264View attachment 7263
Monday brought mostly cloudy/foggy weather so we walked around Eagle Lake and checked out the limited views from Conner's Nubble.
View attachment 7265
Tuesday rained in the morning, but I opted to ride up Cadillac Mountain anyway. No views, but I had a decent time and it was fun, albeit sketchy, descending in the rain. In the afternoon, we went up Beech Cliff via the ladder trail, and then Norumbega right before dinner. The latter offered no views, although we saw a juvenile bald eagle at Lower Hadlock Pond. Wenesday also rained, and I rode the Carriage Roads for a while in scattered showers and occasional downpours, including an ascent of Day Mountain while the water ran downhill beneath my wheels.

Thursday afternoon, things cleared up so we did a loop up Dorr, The Gorge, and Cadillac, descening the North Ridge and taking the bus back to the car. The trail was wet, with 2+" of running water in some places, but the summits were clear and the views were fine.

View attachment 7267
View attachment 7266

Friday, the park closed the campgrounds at 10am and the roads at 5pm, to make way for Lee. We did Jordan Cliff Trail to Sargent and then Penobscot, followed by lunch at Jordan Pond, prior to driving home.
View attachment 7271View attachment 7270View attachment 7269

Hope you all are well!

Tim
That's simply an awesome place! I need to get back after way too many years!

When I saw the date, Sept 19th, I was thinking you were there while Donna & I were there for our 15th wedding anniversary! But the weather you had didn't jive with ours. Guess you were there the week before.

We arrived on Tuesday, the 19th and had great weather while there. Love your write-up and pix!

My 2nd time there and will for sure go back again!

Attachments

• 20230920_102004.mp4
    40.3 MB