blk head & blk dome/catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
there is a split in the trail to black dome, the other trail goes to black head. how far from this "Y" to summits. they are both 3900' so it should be same to both. I was wondering if I wanted to do them both in one day.

ADK dib,

The trail to either summit is apx. .5 miles from the y-junction in the col to either summit. It's a nice easy day hike. While you're up on Blackdome you might as well take the 1 mile walk over to Thomas Cole, esp if you're working on your Catskill 35. There are some nice views off the south side of the BD summit and nice views going up the western slope of Blackhead, but nothing to speak of from TC or the top of BH.

I did this hike with a couple buddies on May 1st or 2nd (can't recall off the top of my head right now) so check out my trail conditions report. I don't think I offered any usefull info, but you might care to look at it anyway.

We really didn't push ourselves too hard on this hike and we spent some time enjoying the views off BD, and it still was only about a 6 hour round trip hike. Email me if you need more info.

Enjoy!

-Fred

Agreed. These are lovely mountains and good trails and can all be done as a part of a day hike by any reasonably fit hiker. Personally, the through hike of each of the 3 Black Heads is my favorite route. While most folks may discount that idea if they don't want to shuttle a car, it is a good idea to consider a bike option. If you drive to the end of Black Dome Valley Rd. to the trial head, and drop off (and lock!) a bike up in the woods, you can then return to the trail head off of Barnum Rd. in Maple Crest, do the through hike, grab your bike at the bottom, and coast downhill (critical part of the planning process not to make it uphill!) back to your car. I do this on a bunch of the valleys in the Cats. Have fun and post a trip report!

One of my favorite routes is to start at the parking area at the end of Big Hollow Road. Take the Black Dome Range Trail east to the Bataviakill Trail to the Escarpment trail. From here is is a steep climb with excellent views to the noth and east. At the peak of Black Head take the Blackhead Mountain Trail to the col. Continue to the peak of Black Dome from here you can continue to Tom Cole and on to Barnum Rd to a second car or Bicycle or you can turn around and go back, staying on the Blackdome Range trail all the way back to the starting point. It is easily done as a day hike. I have also done this starting on Barnum rd in the oposite direction and instead of taking the Batavia kill trail continue on the escarpment, over Acra Point, to the junction of the Blackdome range trail and back down to Big Hollow Rd. (10 miles). Take plenty of water with you if do thias last route.

enjoy.