Bomber crash site on Fort Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson

Reaction score
I'm planning to hike No. Brother Mt. in Baxter SP late this week. Wondering how well defined the trail over to Fort Mt. is and also if the plane crash site is hard to locate. I may have a few Boy Scouts joining me. Any info. would be appreciated. I don't have GPS, only map and compass. Thanks.

This thread should give you all you need to know.
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14066&referrerid=2627

It's not a tough trail to follow to Fort, then it gets a bit hairy. Last time there was plastic flagging off the peak if you travel east along the ridge until the slight herd path leads you off the crest in a southeasterly direction, still slabbing along the ridge.

Also, not a bomber actually. Just a very large 4-prop mail plane if I remember correctly.

Have fun! Definitely worth tracking down if you get over there.

wreck location?

Any idea where the wreck is? ie; compass bearings or general location off summit ridge? I see there are 2 "summits" with the ridge running NW/SE. Thanks again. :)

It's toward the east side of the ridge, maybe 2/3 of the way, about a 100 vertical feet down and a few hundred lateral feet from the top of the ridge. I don't have coordinates. If you have google earth you can actually see the tail on there and that will give you accurate long and lat.

Sorry, looks like Pamola may have answered my question previously. I havent done a lot of big time bushwhacking and am trying to be cautious. I have a lot of respect for these mountains. dont want to be foolhardy :eek:

dnelson said:
I havent done a lot of big time bushwhacking and am trying to be cautious. I have a lot of respect for these mountains. dont want to be foolhardy :eek:

No worries! This is the best attitude to have.

Give yourself enough time and a mindset allowing a few scrapes and scratches and you'll be fine. It's a neat spot. The scouts will love it.

The ridge will basically feed you into the herd path if you travel e(se). Just go with the flow. And have fun!