Boots, Breakin, and Blisters...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've had an interesting issue as of late, and I would love some advice.

I have a pair of Asolo Powermatic 200s, which until recently I have loved. They are about 9 months old, and I have probably about 80-100 miles on them. Recently, they have been giving me some issues with fit and comfort.

Let me state that I have two slightly unequal feet, where my right foot is maybe 1/4 size larger than my left. I've always worn the same sized shoe, and I've never had any issues with my feet being unequal...

When I bought the Asolos, they seemed to fit fine. They were comfortable out of the box, and never gave me much grief on anything under a ten plus mile trek. During my last few hikes I've noticed some heel slip in the left (smaller foot).

I'm wondering if the boots are finally breaking in and thus giving me a little more room and thus the heel slip???

In addition to a nasty heel blister on my left foot, yesterday while hiking the Flume/Liberty loop, I had some additional issues with my right foot, where I was striking with my 4th toe (the one next to the pinky toe) which resulted in a nasty bruise and what I hope will not be a loss of the toenail... I find it strange that this toe would be the only one that had an issue, as it doesn't stick out further than any other...???

All this said, how do you all handle any unevenness in your feet? Have you ever noticed significant loosening of the boots with break in? Would insoles be helpful with the smaller foot and/or and extra liner sock? Do you lace up your boots differently for ascent and descent?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

I just wanted to say that having two differently sized feet is relatively common. I used to sell shoes and that's why you measure both feet. 1/4 size isn't all that outside the norm.

I would tight to tighten up the space in the smaller boot. Extra sock, insole will usually do the trick.