Boston Chapter (AMC) Winter Hiking Program

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MadRiver,

I did this AMC winter class a couple of years ago. I thought that it was very useful and informative. I agree with Mohamed that there is no problem making the cut for the Boston classes.

In about week 3 of the 5 week course there is usually a sign up sheet for a winter hiking weekend at Cardigan Lodge, NH in mid January. Space for this is more limited and unfortunately I missed that week and by the following week it was full. I was put on a wait list and did end up going and thought that it was a really great weekend. I would definitely encourage anyone doing t he winter hiking program to also to also go on this weekend if it is offerred.

sjhbos said:
MadRiver,

I did this AMC winter class a couple of years ago. I thought that it was very useful and informative. I agree with Mohamed that there is no problem making the cut for the Boston classes.

In about week 3 of the 5 week course there is usually a sign up sheet for a winter hiking weekend at Cardigan Lodge, NH in mid January. Space for this is more limited and unfortunately I missed that week and by the following week it was full. I was put on a wait list and did end up going and thought that it was a really great weekend. I would definitely encourage anyone doing t he winter hiking program to also to also go on this weekend if it is offerred.

Unfortunately I have a scheduling conflict with work so I had to back out. I hope to take it when it is offered again, though I would prefer that it is closer to Thornton, NH.

The Boston AMC seems to offer this course every winter so anyone that is interested but can’t make this year’s one will probably get the chance next winter.

In terms of preferring something closer to Thornton…...the New Hampshire chapter of the AMC is also offering a winter hiking workshop in January and again in February. It is based at Cardigan Lodge which is exit 23 on I-93 and so is much easier for the VFTT people that live in the Whites. I have attached a link to the program. I had not taken this particular workshop before and so can’t speak on the quality/usefulness of the weekend but expect that Mohamed, Kevin Rooney or the likes could chip in on that topic.

http://www.amc-nh.org/WinterIntro.htm

sjhbos said:
I had not taken this particular workshop before and so can’t speak on the quality/usefulness of the weekend but expect that Mohamed, Kevin Rooney or the likes could chip in on that topic.
The Boston and New Hampshire chapters have a very similar hiking philosophy, and both hike mainly in the Whites. So you will learn the same stuff at either course.

The instructors at both courses are the best winter hiking leaders in each Chapter, I know both groups and can heartily recommend either.

The Boston Chapter is based on Boston, so we can have five nights of lectures in a central location. In addition we offer a dozen instructional trips: dayhikes, backpacks and two weekends at AMC facilities, one at Cardigan and one at Harvard Cabin.

The entire New Hampshire Chapter course takes place over one weekend, with instruction on Friday night, Saturday before and after the hike, and on Sunday morning before that day's short hike. At least that is how it was when I took it, Bill can correct me if there have been any changes.

Either will give you an excellent foundation on which you will build over years on the trails!

To offer a bit of clarity to the NH Winter Workshops at Cardigan - they run Friday evening thru Sunday mid-afternoon, and one is offered in January and repeated in February. They are not just for winter hiking (it's referred to as Winter Wilderness Travel). Typically offered are 3 levels of Winter Wilderness Travel based upon participant's background. There are typically 2 or 3 sections of backcountry skiing, and the same for winter backpacking. There is also a class for leadership training. This last class is open to everyone, but is required if you wish to lead winter trips for the NH AMC Chapter. There are common lectures which everyone attends (nutrition, clothing, weather, etc) and then classes are held with each section with 2 instructors per section. The winter travel sections spend much time learning map and compass skills, and practice these skills in the hills and woods around Cardigan. After dinner on Saturday there will be a disaster skit, staged by the instructors, followed by practical exercises lead by leadership candidates/participants.

Those are the highpoints - I'm familiar with the series because I've taught there in the past. Perhaps Mohamed can outline what occurrs at the Boston Chapter's weekend at Cardigan.

Kevin

Who here is participating in this class? I am hesitant to start rambling about alligator eggs to random people. Feel free to say hi to me - the name on my tag says Susan Gordon. :) It was wonderful fun hearing Mohamed lecture last week after reading his writing for years.