Boundary 8/18/08 #100 of 100

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
There was no need to rush, Una_dogger and I were now on vacation. We made a lazy start, packing up Sunday morning and hitting the road just a little bit after noon. Shortly before reaching Rte 2, I realized that we'd forgotten all our plates, bowls, mugs, and utensils. Oops. Back to the house one more time and then ono the highway. We took the longer-but-quicker route: I-95 to Augusta, then Rte 27 up through Farmington and all the way to an early evening arrival in Eustis at Cathedral Pines Campground.

Setting up took a bit of time as we have a new screenhouse but no rain fly for it yet, so first to get tied out was a huge tarp, then the screenhouse under it, then the über-tent known as the Taj Michael. We watched an amazing full moon rise over Flagstaff Lake and the Bigelows, marveled at the amazing virgin red pines towering overhead, and retired.

We woke with the sun, then fell back asleep. It was a surprisingly chilly morning, and it wasn't until around 7:30 that the sun's rays warmed the tent enough to get us going. After a simple camper's breakfast we got onto Rte 27, where we saw beautiful scenery and even had a roadside moose sighting. We easily passed through the border checkpoing into Canada and navigated the 8.3 miles to the ZEC Louise Gosford gate, where we signed in and paid the fee of $5 each.

We had directions that got us directly to the gravel pit, where a backhoe was working on the north side tearing up trees for what looks like a new road. We parked by the start of the trail, plenty distant from the work area, geared up, and started walking. It was 11am.

We saw the small cairn, turned right and crossed the stream, then up the long, steep, eroded path past the no-ATV sign. The pitch of this trail, combined with the looseness of the footing, really got our heart rates up. Terra, of course, simply ran up and down, back and forth.

Once we attained the ridge, the trail meandered among lovely, green, fern-wrapped trees and brush. It seemed to go on further than expected, but was such a nice walk that we didn't mind at all.

Then came the boundary swath. The trail put us on the swath just south, and below the crest, of the hill where I'd turned us back a month ago due to dehydration, leg cramps, low water supplies, and a shortage of time. Now we were in the same spot with plenty of food and water, not the slightest bit tired, under sunny skies but with a cool, steady breeze. Piece of cake.

We stuck it in gear, cruised down the hill, over the next northern lump, down again, up through the scree-ish area, and before I knew it, we were at the summit cairn of Boundary Peak. #100/100. Wow.
IMG_2570.jpg

A few steps down the shortest herd path I've ever seen brought us to the new-looking canister. As always, it was great to read so many familiar names in the register. We signed in, then sat down back on the swath to enjoy the great weather and eat some lunch.
IMG_2571.jpg

The trip back to the car was quick and easy. On the drive out we took notice of all the mountain activities in the Mégantic area and how really beautiful it is, and agreed that a return trip for further exploration, as well as a climb of Mont Gosford, would definitely happen in the future.

Back at camp we had cold beer, Cockburn on the iPod, steak tips cooked over an open fire, and the bug-free joy of the screenhouse to celebrate my completion of the New England Hundred Highest!!!

This was a long time coming; I had originally though I'd finish back in 2006, but for various reasons, including a lot of trips to Vermont ;) it took until now, and it feels great to be done.

I think I got the NE100 bug through a combination of a hike to Nancy, Arm's 100th on Baldpate, and SherpaK's 100th on Sandwich Dome, and have had a ton of fun along the way. The peaks beyond the 48 and 67 ranged from quiet gems to dastardly treks, but each one has made for memories that will last. Special thanks of course to una_dogger for being such a great supporter this summer, especially scheduling so many peaks into our vacation time. Thanks also to those of you who provided trail beta, logging road directions, route suggestions, and other kind words.

Next up? Una_dogger needs her 115, and the rest of our time in Eustis will be featured in trip reports and photo albums from Redington, Abraham, and Sugarloaf. Before that, however, we'll take a journey into a tent during a powerful line of severe thunderstorms, drop the temperature about 15°, bring on the wind, brave some more logging roads, devour ripe trailside blueberries, and redefine the "alpine start" according to our own vacation rules. 8)

W00t!!!

And here are the photos from Boundary.

Thank you sooooooo much, everyone, for all your kind comments! It's wonderful being a part of a community like this, whether it's recognizing the names in the summit registers or coming back online to read your posts. It adds magic to the already-amazing experience that hiking these mountains has afforded me.

To those who asked what's next, it is indeed the many joys of homeownership, and seeing una_dogger to her 115 now that I've gotten her to all the Maine 4K's. To respond to a few specifics...

SteveHiker said:
nice work MichaelJ. You seem to be just ahead of me again.
But this time I didn't steal anyone from your finish hike. ;)

Bobby said:
Way to go MJ! Now you'll have a new list, it goes something like this... Honey - do this, Honey - do that! :D
Bwahahaha! I'm more of a manager type. :)

DrewKnight said:
More than most of these folks, I can say "I knew you when"... and, for a price, I won't talk!
Yikes! I did indeed do a number of embarassing things back in the summer of '89, boss, but I'll just play the "dumb college intern" card. And watch for an envelope in the mail...

Mad Townie said:
After all that uphill, I'll bet you're ready for the downhill. :cool:
Well, you know, "all downhill from here" is such clever subtext! :D

marchowes said:
'Bout time
Bite my shiny metal ...

dr_wu002 said:
The NETH is now calling. You've already got the first 100.
Don't make me hurt you.

Gillian said:
Hope to do the same one day...uch but that means bushwhacking.... :rolleyes:
Well, I won't deny that some of them bordered on, well, sucking, but overall they're not bad and once you get on a roll, it gets fun. In fact, as I looked through the list I realized I honestly can say something positive about every peak, even Vose Spur.

arm said:
awesome ! Donna baked a pie to honor the occasion :)
Donna's pie for everyone!

SherpaKroto said:
Well, it's about friggin' time! Congrats! Now I hope that you took my advice and climbed Gosford while up there!
Uh, no ... but we didn't even start up Boundary until 11am and were feeling those lazy vacation vibes. We'll go back, that region is stunning.

Neil said:
Is Boundary in New England, the Northeast or Quebec?
Yes! The US/Canada boundary goes directly over the summit, the border swath is the route up, and if you're not careful you'll make hundreds of illegal border crossings along the way.

Bob said:
Blueberry beer and pie for everyone!!
Blueberry everything!!! Fresh, ripe ones on the side of the trail, blueberry salsa on grilled salmon, blueberry ice cream, and if I'd planned ahead, we would even have had blueberry Green Mountain coffee.

Little Rickie said:
Which one: was your favorite, did you like the leas,t was the hardest, and the easiest?
That's a tough question. Let me limit it to the 33 peaks beyond the NE67 4K's. The hardest hike for physical endurance was probably the Brothers, Fort, and Coe. There was just a lot of mileage and elevation there. The most difficult otherwise was White Cap / N Kenn Divide / almost-Boundary. That had the largest stretches of true bushwhacking combined with navigating logging roads way out in the middle of nowhere and ending up dehydrated and struggling to only 2 of 3 peaks. Of course, it would have been a trivial hike if we hadn't tried for Boundary via that "traditional route".

The least-liked was probably Pico. A hot walk up the service road at the end of a long day to the uninteresting summit was not a particular highlight. The easiest was the return trip to Boundary via ZEC Louise Gosford, followed very closely by East Kennebago. My favorite? Tough call, but I think I'd have to go with Goose Eye. I was first there on a Mahoosuc Range backpack, then a return trip in crystal clear October weather as a day hike, and both times I was just blown away by the range.

Very nice Michael. Well done all the way thru. I've been reading your TRs and looking to get back to NE and working on the peaks still to go.

See you guys soon somewhere in the mtns.

PB

It's the United States/Canada border. There are markers spaced along it placed (I suppose) during the original survey.

This particular stretch has a well-beaten path along the Canadian side as well as numerous platforms built by hunters for shooting moose that wander into the swath. I understand that U.S. border agents keep an eye on the hunters to make sure they don't pursue injured animals in the United States.

Congrats on a heck of a finish. I'm not looking forward to Boundary, especially as I'll probably be taking it from the "traditional" side.

Thank you, everyone!

The "traditional" route isn't that bad, really. It's a pseudo-whack to the summit of White Cap, then a true whack through some easy woods, some difficult woods, over to the swath at the unnamed summit, then the walk along the swath is just like a ski slope: steep, difficult footing, full sun exposure, and in season, mobs of bugs. We turned back only a mile from the summit, just beyond where the "easy" route comes in, and only due to lack of water leading to dehydration slowing me painfully down.

I'll offer one major tip, though ... allow at least an hour for driving on the logging roads from Oquossoc to the parking area.

MichaelJ said:
Thank you, everyone!

The "traditional" route isn't that bad, really..

I agree, the traditional route is a ton of fun. I really enjoyed the herdpath up to Whitecap -- it's a gem of a trail. The wack over the 3510 peak is straightforward and it was really good practice. I have to admit that I felt we had accomplished something pretty cool by attempting this route! As MJ said, conditions on the swath that day were horrendous! I'd opt for this route again in crisp, fall weather. :)

Also, we later came across some beta regarding starting up for White Cap / E Kenn D from a different logging road, which cuts off about a mile or so and starts off right in the col between the two peaks (route used by Skimom Sept 2007). That might be a good approach to aim for once the days get shorter.

Well, a bunch of ideas are listed up above for what's next, some of which aren't hiking-related. :)

I do want to add that while talking with u_d on one of our hikes, we realized that I only have 7 or 8 peaks left to complete a second all-season round of the 48, and so I'll have my eye on that as well as another 7 afterward to complete a second all-season round of the 67. The NH100 sounds fun, now that I (and to some extent we) have the bushwhacking bug. And a couple ADK's a year are a must.

The only thing not in my sights is the winter 48. Downhill lift-served ski season takes precedence, oh, yes. :D

Congrats on your accomplishment MJ!!!! I've enjoyed reading your trip reports and should I ever get the NEHH bug...I'll be hitting you up for info :D .

Go that way, very fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Oh wait ... that's skiing ...

MichaelJ said:
Go that way, very fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Oh wait ... that's skiing ...

I'll have to give the glades a shot this year...now that I know someone who likes to ski them.

well, coming from someone who has no desire to do the 100 highest, i congratulate you. you did alot more bushwhacking, long drives on logging roads, research and navigating then i'll ever do. at least in maine. ;)