Boundary Bald, ME 5/26/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillDC

Reaction score
Headed out to Route 201 in Jackman and headed north. From the Moose River Bridge, we followed 201 for about 7.6 miles to Bald Mountain Road on the right. This road is well marked with a street sign. After you turn right, the road is gated, but usually open. Follow Bald Mountain Road and at 2.3 mi, cross the Heald Brook bridge and bear right. Continue on this road going straight at 2.5 mi where another road comes in from the right. At 3.0 mi, pass mud pond. At 4.0 mi, cross the Heald Inlet bridge. At 4.1 mi, bear left onto Notch road. This road was not marked by name, only a reference to the trail. Continue to 4.3 mi where Trail road bears off to the right. Notch road continues left. Trail road is well marked with a sign and a reference to the trail. Trail road is in good shape overall with the exception of several deep culverts that you need good clearance to cross. We didn't have the clearance needed to get up trail road, so we parked and began the hike here. From the beginning of Trail road to the trailhead is about 1.4 mi.

Trail road is in good shape, no blowdowns or significantly wet areas. Several culverts and streams make this road tough for low clearance vehicles. With a high clearance vehicle, you could drive to the trailhead. At about 1.1 mi up trail road, you pass an open, grassy area on the right where you can find the site of the first fire wardens camp. Only the roof remains today. A bit above this spot, the original wardens trail, which began to the south at Heald Pond back in the day, would have crossed trail road. Just a bit above that spot, a weak trail heads off to the north and climbs a bit to the site of the last wardens camp, which was burned around 1999-2000 timeframe. The burned remains of the cabin and woodshed are still onsite. The original trail continued out the back of this campsite. A dim trail can still be seen in places and can likely be easily bushwacked, but we decided to walk back out to trail road. Continuing up trail road just a bit more, the trailhead is reached on the left. There is a sign marking the trail, though it is falling over at this time. There is parking at this spot for any vehicles that make it up this far.

The trail is marked with blue blazes and is easy to follow. Even for a dry spell, the trail was fairly wet. Most of it follows a stream-bed, is rocky, and many of the areas had running water over the trail. Some very crude log bog bridges make an attempt to keep your boots from getting soaked, but your mileage will vary. You reach a point where the trail bears right, but it appears that another weak trail comes in from the left. This is the junction where the old wardens trail that leaves the rear of the old wardens camp re-joins the main trail. Now 3 generations of phone line can readily be seen from this point forward all of the way to the summit. When the trail arrives above treeline, it meets up with the Notch trail, which I assume goes back down the west side to a more upper portion of Notch road. Continuing on, the trail walks up the ridge and heads toward the summit. Blue blazes continue to mark the trail. Upon arrival at the summit, you will first see a small log communications building which houses radio equipment for the Passamaquoddy Indian Tribe. On both sides of the log building, the remains of the old collapsed fire tower are still onsite. This tower, erected in 1937, collapsed in the 70s and its wreckage is still present. This mountain has had a fire lookout on it since 1911, when a wooden lookout was built. On the right side of the trail just before the log building, you can still see some of the original 1911 "L" brackets that held the 1911 wood lookout to the rocks. Continuing on, the bald summit offers spectacular views in all directions. Just east of the log building, a new communications building and tower are present, built in 2009. The complex may not be complete as there are bundles of building materials still present. This thing appeared to be beat up a bit. One solar panel has blown off, the cable tray and cables ripped from the building, and the propeller of one of the wind turbines blown off.

After photos and checking out the potpourri of summit artifacts, we sat on the rocks and ate lunch while taking in great views.

Some photos of this hike can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/BillDC3/BoundaryBaldME5262010?feat=directlink

Bill

hey Bill--glad you made it to BB--a great peak/ridge-i enjoyed your pics and the views i missed when summitting about 615AM above an "undercast deck" of clouds

I went back and looked at my TR from a few years ago and it appears little has changed. I think the Trail Rd is actually in a bit better shape than it was in 2007(pretty badly eroded on the steeps then). I had only owned the Forester for a few days and was really leery about trashing it..... so after going about 1/2-3/4 of the way way up the Trail Rd, i got cold feet and actually backed down :) to a spot to pull off and sleep for the night -now i'd just "plow" (slowly) to the trailhead...i also found the trail itself to be a brook

cool place, fun hike--have you been to Sally? (be careful on he train bridge :) )

jim

Yeah, it was tempting to drive up to the trailhead, but its a long way back to town! It would have also been nice to explore where trail road goes beyond the trailhead. Some locals have told me that it is used it to bag the other peak via bushwack. Didn't have time to check out the Notch trail. If anyone has explored that one, please chime in.

Haven't been back to Sally yet, that will likely be August. Not looking forward to hot days on those tracks! I'd like to follow the trail beyond the summit to see where it goes.

Bill

When I did this with Bob & Gerry and Cantdog in late November 2004, there was snow on the road (6 - 8 inches ??) but Bob's big SUV had little trouble plowing on - up to a point. We started moving slowly backwards down the hill at a steep spot. I said "Bob you better put your break on" he said "IT IS ON". Fun spot to be in with the large drop off on one side. We finally settled in at a flat spot, turned around and left the SUV there and went the rest of the way on snow-shoes. Exciting day with low temps, very high winds and lenticular clouds. One trip I will not forget.

This shows the path after we got out of the SUV. You can sort of see the steep part that turned us back:

Lenticular clouds and the "Gingerbread" house

Hanging on against the wind

Pics (includes a few of Bob's):
http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2004_Boundary_Bald
Bob's Pics (includes Coburn which we did that afternoon):
http://rbhayes.net/bbald-coburn.html

I recall at least one poster (a woman, Mainer who always hiked with a dog - forget the name) had whacked from the main peak to the second peak along the ridge line. So that must be doable.

Last edited:
I recall at least one poster (a woman, Mainer who always hiked with a dog - forget the name) had whacked from the main peak to the second peak along the ridge line. So that must be doable.
I have done the bushwhack from the main peak to 3442? with descent to the road, no issues there

On my first hike, the warden's cabin was still maintained by a snowmobile club and the trail started there, every little cliff had a short ladder of the right size much more elaborate than Spencer. By my second hike the bottom of the trail went up a skid road to a cutover area (what you call a streambed) and some of the ladders were getting rotten