Bradley Pond & Panther Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
A Not-Very-Santanoni Backpack

Three of us decided on an overnight walk in the Santanoni Woods for our fourth annual Adirondack weekend. I knew before we started that the odds of actually bagging peaks would be impossible to pick, but we saddled up full winter packs Friday afternoon and plodded up the snowmobile trail from the Upper Works road. The snow cover was, um, adequate, and the extra weight made skiing unrealistic, so we snowshoed the whole thing.

In a miracle of good luck, a trail-breaking veteran ("Master Grasshopper," I believe) preceded us in order to prepare for a second full return trip the next day as part of a memorial 46-on-46 community hike. His route-finding was perfect right up to Bradley Pond and we were pleased to meet him at dusk about a half-mile short of our goal. He was headed back down having made it up to the ridge (where he said it became really challenging). Even this local expert wasn't sure that summits would be made the next day, given the snow depth and bushwhack nature of the hike.

Nonetheless, the huff-&-puff up to the pond was enjoyable, at least until darkness and a little fatigue made it a much more businesslike venture. MG's tracks left us at the beaver dam and we went off on our own to find the trail for all of another couple hundred yards. Although we easily found the route to Duck Hole and even the "Lean-To ----->" sign further on, the day was quickly grinding to a halt. We couldn't find the lean-to; one of us fell in a spruce trap, and another's snowshoe blew a rivet. Determined to find home plate, we dropped our packs at the sign and spread out, lights on, looking for it. I eventually stumbled on it, almost entirely buried behind its own snowbanks, and we hollered our gratitude as the hard work of the day was ending. Although one of us is a race-hardened skier, we were pretty beat.

But it was all good after that. The white-gas stoves fired right up, and it was heat-&-eat chili (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20453). We also enjoyed another couple hours of boiling snowmelt, and the hot-water bottles in my boots were still warm the next morning when I took them out of the sleeping bag.

That said, winter camping is a lot of logistics, and disorganized ADD-ers must struggle to get it all together. For example, how many things need carrying on your person or kept in your bag to keep from freezing? If you use baby wipes to stay clean, don't forget to thaw them out first!

But the transition from the frustration to the relief was so stark that we had a great evening and turned in under gentle winter conditions.

In the morning, we eventually got it together and discussed how to call the odds on the day's exertions. We decided to see how far up we could make it, and had again been gifted with MG's freshly broken trail up Panther Brook.

[I also had a thought for Neil and his family, none of whom I have met, but whose tragedy had really given me pause. I thought of Neil's comments on safety over the last couple of years and trembled at the thought of losing one of my own children, or how devastating it would be for my family to suffer similarly. I wish for them the comfort of time and hope. I also thought of what must have been Dominic's youthfulness as I butt-slid gleefully down the trail after our turn. He sounds like a great guy.]

Well, the 46-on-46 team did a fantastic job breaking and route-finding for us. We noticed that there were several small detours, and marveled at the extra energy someone had to go off on his own so often, as they were clearly not just dead-ends, but were little side-ventures. We, however, were not quite so fit and hit our U-turn where the trail hits Panther Brook. Despite the wonderland of snow, there were no views (as it snowed, and continues to snow, throughout). Just as we turned, we met a 46R who told us he planned to build a snow shelter for the night and was headed up as far as he could go. I wonder how his trip turned out.

We enjoyed a pleasant romp back to Bradley Pond, where we ate and then mounted up for the walkout back to Upper Works. We passed 46R's pulk about a mile down from Bradley Pond. We were even curiouser after that.

Of the two bridged stream crossings, one has a steep slope just beside it that was just a little challenging going up, but provided a direct slide right into open water on the way back. I did indeed slide down most of it, but regained my composure just in time to step onto the bridge, neatly NOT breaking my ankle in the process.

We also encountered a trio following our steps back up to the lean-to (their packs were even bigger than ours!) and another on the snowmobile trail. This second group said they were going to look for the new/old trail. Again, I wonder how it went. And then finally, just short of the gate, we were again passed by Master Grasshopper and a partner on their way out. They confirmed that the top of the ridge was as challenging as ever, but they looked like they had had a great time.

For our part, we were tired enough from our heavy slog and headed for the warmth of a wood stove and some steaks. On Sunday, we skied the track to Camp Santanoni in the windy, blow-down snow and then braved the roads homeward with occasional whiteouts. Getting back through the Berkshires was especially entertaining!

It was yet another big-bite Adirondack weekend and a wonderful time was had by all. Maybe one of these years, we'll actually tag a summit marker!

--M.

Last edited: