Brothers - Big Slide 8/2 (ADK): HOT!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsmores

Reaction score
Took my daughter (20) and her boyfriend (21) for a great hike yesterday. I'm not sure if she saw it as a chance for me to bond with the boy or as a test to see if the boy had the right stuff. This was his first real hiking experience.
Arrived Tuesday evening with temps well into the 90's and had pretty passable Sushi in LP - can't remember the name of the place, it's right across from the speed skating oval. Had an Ubu and a 46'er Pale Ale (Tuesdays are 2-for-1) at the LP Brewpub before heading to The Hostel in Keene Valley. I'll put in another shameless plug for the place - Dave and Cynthia are great hosts, the place is $20/night for a bed, with access to the kitchen, washer/dryer, all linens, spotless bathrooms/showers. Great place to stay if you aren't camping.
Wednesday morning breakfast at The Noonmark, then on the trail about 8 a.m. We were completely soaked in sweat by 8:10. I have NEVER (in 35 years of doing this) been so hot in the Adirondacks. It was in the 80's with near 100% humidity by 9 a.m., and it got hotter as we went. Thankfully, the Brother's ledges come up fast and there was at least a (hot) breeze blowing when you got into the open. The trail was in good shape, and there were a million blueberries, which slowed our progress significantly. Between berry picking/eating and hydration stops, it was noon before we summited Big Slide. Had great views, albeit a little hazy. The weather was starting to look threatening, so we decided to head down to John's Brook to avoid any chance of being on the ledges in a lightning storm. As it turned out, it never really rained, and the sun ended up coming back out. A mixed blessing - I was looking forward to a little rain.
Took a very refreshing dip in John's Brook before heading back to the Garden, where cold beer was waiting in the car. Stopped for a nice juicy Papa Bear Burger at the Black Bear in Pottersville before completing the long ride back to Rachacha.
All in all, it was a really nice hike in spite of the hellish heat. The boyfriend passed the test, and is already planning his next trip. I guess there was some measure of bonding. And my daughter continues to amaze me - all 5' 3" of her kept up with us boys and never lost the smile on her face. I know a lot of women (and men) her age who would have whined the whole way. I guess her mother and I did OK. :D