Brown Pond Peak true summit location?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C.

Reaction score
In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
In early October, I did the Brown Pond peak bushwhack a second time, with SonnyM, who was out there to complete one of his ADK 100 highest. We passed the Brown Pond stream outlet from the west and used the sloped approach through mostly open woods to the broad wooded "summit" area ... or so we thought. There were several "bumps" on top. My altimeter read about 3300', but the 1042 meters translates to 3418'. We didn't see anything higher (down on all sides). We took a bearing toward the SSW peak, dropped about 50-60 feet, then started up and climbed up to a point 3400(+). This had to be the top ... the right elevation as well. For those of you that have done this mountain, I'd like to hear about your experiences here. Should there be another higher map contour line on the south summit side of the mountain?

I came in from the S/SW up one of those gullies, not recalling which right now and came to what was the summit (by my scouting around) from that direction. Did you climb from the pond itself? You make it sound like you climbed the small bump to the North before traveling the ridge up to the height.

I remember the really steep terrain to the East going down the most from that trip!

Did you climb from the pond itself? You make it sound like you climbed the small bump to the North before traveling the ridge up to the height. I remember the really steep terrain to the East going down the most from that trip!

We passed by the high point of the BP stream outlet. I'm not sure which "small bump" (there were several) you're referring to, but the marked "+" summit isn't where the HP is. This should be useful information for others who will visit here in the future.

Alan, thanks for sending your plotted route and trip notes. Dennis

Last edited: