Camel's Hump via the Burrows Trail 2/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
Sunday, Feb 23rd

Trail Conditions: trail is well packed and barebootable all the way to the old hut clearing and probably to the summit. There is very little ice on the summit at this time, probably 2 feet of snow on either side of the trail to the clearing and a dusting on the summit. Camel's Hump Road from Huntington is also in okay shape, very bumpy in places with some ice further up that was fast melting on our way down. I can't imagine what this road is like in mud season.

Equipment needed: microspikes or other light traction very helpful, face protection from the wind essential for the summit. My father opted for his prescription sunglasses instead of goggles and had a hard time facing west for long.

Comments: third time was the charm with this hike-I've been up twice in summer and it was socked in both times, gave up on numerous winter plans when the weather was forecast to be bad. It was unbelievably gorgeous yesterday. Completely clear but with a cold wind.