Camel's Rump in Gorham, NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
So, I'm cruising some research and stumbled on some things some here might find interesting.

I have been looking at an 1861 reproduction map at the White Mt Cafe, and was surprised as this was the first place/time I have seen Pine Mt. named Camel's Rump. Feeling too lazy to leaf through my assorted historic archives and ancient treasures, I Googled it!

First I stumbled on this www.dollycopp.com/dollycopp35.php# this site has some great stuff! Many great old postcards and photo's. Anyone been to the Horton memorial seat carved into rock that replaced the lightning struck marble original? I habe not stumbled upon it yet myself, maybe since I get a bit nervous when I get to the edge of the southern ledges.

I wonder why it's name got changed from Camel's Rump to Pine Mt; maybe rump was too racy for the times and no one wished to duplicate the hump over in VT? R&M Julyan's book said the name Pine was adopted due to the fine stands of pines that once stood. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispu...14::NO:3:P3_FID,P3_TITLE:872506,Pine Mountain (thanks to whoever first posted this resource here awhile back).

"The Camel's Rump"....would make for a great name for a Brew Pub. Thanks for posting. Excellent links!

Anyone been to the Horton memorial seat carved into rock that replaced the lightning struck marble original? I habe not stumbled upon it yet myself, maybe since I get a bit nervous when I get to the edge of the southern ledges.

I was out there this past summer and sat in the memorial seat. I don't recall it being overly exposed but that's a matter of opinion with ledges.

Definitely great views for a relatively easy hike. Nice that they remain welcoming of hikers.