Can a dog do Seymour

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweezer57

Reaction score
I have a friend who insists on hiking with his dog. He is willing to hike Seymour on the condition the dog can join us. Since I have not yet done the Seward Range I cannot honestly say yes.
I would appreciate a few comments.

if the dog is in good shape andd health, then yes....

a dog can hike anywhere in the peaks.... there are some rules, as the eastern high peaks require dogs to be leashed at all times... the dix range require a dog to only be on a leash when at camp, this is the same in the western high peaks....

but, if you are in the areas where a leash is not required, it is common courtesy to keep the dog well mannored.

oh yeah, you WILL run into others that have reservations about dog on the trail..

i'll be in the seward range this weekend hiking with my dog.

happy hiking...

If the dog is in good shape it will probably do better than a person. A friend and myself took is dog over the Great Range starting form the Rooster Comb trailhead. Time and time again the dog proved that 4-foot-drive is far superior to 2-foot-drive. The only place she had a really hard time was coming down Saddleback and Basin. The ladder on Basin was the hardest. If the dog is use to hiking it shouldn't have a problem on Seymour.

Tweezer, I agree with the others - A dog in normal health would really have no problem on Seymour.

I have another thought, If you are planning on camping overnight on a weekend, the Ward Brook and Blueberry LT's get quite a bit of use - If you want a quieter/uncrowded LT, where your dog can move around a bit more you might consider camping just a bit further up the Ward Brook Truck Trail (Easily less than 1/2 mile from the Seymour Herd Path cutoff) at the Santanoni Nos 1 & 2 LT's.

I used to maintain them and they were always pretty quiet except for spillover on holiday weekends and occasional horsepackers in from the Cold River Ranch.

They are side by side in a very open & quiet area with a beautiful little brook right behind them.
Good Luck

Tweez,

I don't hike in the ADKs with my Malamute because he's nosy and a wanderer, so I wouldn't make good time with him. But when I take him for walks around home, I realy have to keep a keen eye on his hydration. Being a heavy furred dog, he can get dehydrated easily. So I guess the key is having a hiking breed, and making sure they're hydrated.
I think the hardest part of Seymour would be the slide. But I agree with Rico, dogs have a way of getting around things, They've got that 4-wheel drive with the studded snows. Good luck!

Tom

My Rottweiler climbed it with no problem. He was little more beat the following day after Seward, Donaldson, Emmons, Donaldson, Seward.

My nine year old black lab can still run circles around any human I've met in the peaks. She's got 38 peaks. Seymour should be no problem. I think some dogs might have challenges with some of the ledges and ladders on some peaks, but definitely not Seymour.

I took my miniature Dachshund hiking MacNaughton last week. I had to help her, at times, up and down the rough section of Indian Pass (as I knew I would). Other than that, she was always running ahead, then back, waiting for me to catch up. She never even panted once all day!