Canaan Mtn (CT)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taconic

Reaction score
I've driven by Canaan Mtn dozens if not hundreds of times and have a couple of questions about it.

1: Is there a trail on it? I've actually done a lot of research and, as near as I can tell, there at least used to be a trail leading to the summit from the Beckley Furnace in the early 20th century. However, no current maps or guides make any reference to it, so I'm not sure what its status is and have been reluctant to explore around the base due to the large amounts of private property in the area.

2: Barring a trail, where is there legal parking for the forest itself? I'm not adverse to bushwhacking it. I'd just rather not be towed while I'm out. :p

3: There's a tertiary summit on the massif listed on some maps as "Stone Man Mountain." It's not listed on the above map, but I've marked it here. I'm positive that there's no trail on it, but it's located within a discreet piece of state forest. However, I also know that the Wagnum Lake/Seldom Seen Pond area are privately owned (by people that apparently don't like visitors) and appears to bisect the state forest. Is there any sort of legal parking for this section of the forest?

Both of these mountains seem to have some potential for great views. Canaan Mtn clearly has a large, west facing cliff or ledge easily visible from many other summits that looks like it would afford an amazing view. Stone Man Mtn also has some clearly visible ledgy/patchy areas near the summit that appear to be worth exploring.

I realize that this is probably a long shot, but hopefully somebody more local is around to shed some light on this for me. :p
Thanks.

The PeakMaster & I climbed Canaan Mtn 20+ years ago, our route didn't encounter any No Trespassing signs and the car was still there when we got back. We were somewhat disappointed that there was nothing special in the way of views on our route. Alas, I don't know offhand where we parked.

The PeakMaster & I climbed Canaan Mtn 20+ years ago, our route didn't encounter any No Trespassing signs and the car was still there when we got back. We were somewhat disappointed that there was nothing special in the way of views on our route. Alas, I don't know offhand where we parked.
That's good to know. I guess this winter I'll set aside a day to poking around the area.

My interest in Canaan Mtn specifically stems from this face:
canaan.jpg

Those ledges can be seen by virtually every mountain in the area. They look like they'd provide a view similar to what is found on Mt. Prospect's clearing.

If I make it up there, I'll be sure to report my findings. :p