Canadian Jay

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
A few times while hiking during winter in the Whites I had the pleasure to entice a Canadian Jay to my hand. After the first sizable snowstorm of 2006, during the last weeks of Mizpah being opened, I was able to show my friends how to do it and photograph it.

277328848_0d6b7b0192_o.jpg
277328916_a5702c1748_o.jpg
277328886_89ebcb4ad2_o.jpg

#3 was the winner...until I saw the jeans. :eek: :eek: :eek:

#1 is good, but it would be nice if the boy was a little sharper.

#2 has better depth of field, but along with #1, the bird is in front of a distracting background. I know it can be tough to get away from a distracting background in the woods though.

#3 isolates the bird against a cleaner background, plus you get the view to hold your attention too. So it's the winner for me. Now, about those jeans....

- darren

heh. His Jeans would not fit me. ;-)

for the record: I was wearing black patagonia mountaneering pants (I've had them for 5 years - I don't remember the model name).

I'm on the right side, pumping water at Zealand hut.

342516789_142b253b3a_o.jpg

All three photos are appealing. I agree with the prior comments that more depth of field would be nice to get the kids sharper. The expressions on the kids are great. The blue caps and the bright pack help the first two photos. That is always something to consider when taking companions out hiking. Ask then to wear some bright colors. And bring some bright knit hats with you to lend out if necessary.

A great sense of place in the third photo which has your best background. It is an illustration of good planning in creating a photo.

I think what makes all of these images so appealing for me is that they appear rather monochrome, with splashes of color in your human subjects. Even the birds are monochrome. I think #1 is my favorite, despite the kid being slightly OOF. There is great interaction with the bird and the kid, and the supporting frame is really nice. And the bird is sharp.

No nits on # 3 either, but it doesn't really have the general appeal of #1.