Cannon in the clouds {6.3.12}

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
Date: Sunday 6.3.12
Trail: Kinsman Ridge, out and back

This was the second day of hiking for what was looking to be a wash-out but again we were pleasantly surprised. There was a light rain when we reached the trailhead around 8:30am and we had a scattered shower once or twice throughout the hike but for the most part there was just the residual wetness from recent rains so most of the group opted to carry the rain gear rather than wear it. The winds were also non-existant, a big change from the previous day. The trail also offered quite the contrast to the two we had hiked the day before, Hale and Waumbek. Our trail today was much rockier and had no warm-up to start with, just straight to the climbing. I seem to remember making a comparison to the Ridge Trail up Giant Mtn, in New York, in that sense. It was cool to see the different sections of trail and how they changed as you climbed up. Things started off with a typical forest floor, then to a heavily eroded chute filled with a gravel like scree, onto a rocky scramble, to a watery stream over slab rock, a few summit bogs and finishing with a bouldery alpine summit scramble. It certainly was the most interesting trail of the weekend.
Lookout from lower summit
DSC00881.JPG

Unfortunately we had no views from the first lookout toward the Franconia Ridgeline, so we snapped a quick picture or two and headed down off the sub-summit and began our final ascent to the top of Cannon. I love how each summit has a unique profile and summit experience and Cannon's was kind enough to oblige. The clouds did thin a few times to give glimpses of what was hidden behind them but for the most part we had a softly lighted summit experience. We were also kindly serenaded by a White-throated sparrow as we approached the top, always a welcome companion. We didn't see our first group of other hikers till we hit the summit, where we ran into two parties of two and then another young couple on the way back down; I would imagine the weather kept what would most likely be a busy peak almost to ourselves.
Clouds breaking a little
DSC00889.JPG

Approach to the summit
DSC00890.JPG

DSC00893.JPG

Our decent went smoothly and quickly and we had the luxury of returning to the hotel for a hot shower and lunch before our return drive back to New York. A great weekend in all, especially considering the forecasted deluge. I'm looking forward to the next trip back to enjoy some more new mountains. :)