Cannon Mountain 06/06/2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
Yesterday was a beautiful day. The mountains beckoned, so I decided to take a "personal" day. I shut down my studio, threw the gear into the truck and headed north. I had planned to hike Cannon Mountain. I arrived at the Tramway parking lot around noon and headed up the Kinsman Ridge Trail.

Everything was so lovely and fresh in the notch especially after the rains. The temperature was probably in the high 60's with gentle breezes which made for comfortable hiking. I easily ascended the loose gravel sections and made my way up through the rocky switchbacks where I encountered some running water. No problem. And to my surprise the entire hike was virtually bug free.

I took the side trail and checked out the great view of the Franconias from the ledges of the east summit. Traversing the ledgy east flank of the main Cannon peak has really whetted my appetite for exploring more of the Kinsman Ridge Trail.

I continued on up to the tramway terminal encountering lots of lively school kids on the way. Making my way to the summit, I climbed the observation tower, lingered for a time and then headed down.. I was glad to get back to the solitude of the trail rather than standing in the midst of noisy crowds. This is one of the reasons I love to hike. I love the experience of the mountains from remote places where your feel the intimacy and the vastness all at once. I took my time on the steep descent leaving behind the drama of the ridge for the quiet enclosure of the forest.

Ray