Carr Mountain via Carr Mountain Trail, 11/2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Saturday 11/2/2013

Trail Conditions: Trail is not heavily trafficked, it seems. A few river crossings, all rock-hoppable, no problems. As the trail gets out of the hardwoods and closer to the summit it's mossy and very slippery with roots and wet rocks hidden beneath the leaves and moss.

Special Equipment Required: Poles helpful. I brought traction but not needed--would certainly be useful toward the top once this ices over. I think this would make a great winter snowshoe trek.

Comments: This is a good shorter hike (round trip 6 miles) if you're looking to get some exercise but don't have a lot of time. 2700 foot elevation gain--it will get your heart and legs moving. It's also rather isolated, which I liked--didn't see a soul the whole time. Park off the gravel road--big hikers sign there. Walk up the road into the field past one last farmhouse. Old fire tower foundation at the top--interesting.

A lot of the trail is on old logging roads. When it's not, it can be a bit hard to follow, at least now with heavy leaf cover. Your feet will find the way, though.

--Carla
[email protected]