Carrigain - A Perfect Day!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Going to the Whites on a major holiday weekend is something I usually avoid. This weekend, the forecasts sounded too good to stay away.

In the wee hours of 5/29 I finished packing up the car to head up to the Whites. Just as I was leaving, I remembered I hadn't packed a hat and gloves (a rule of mine, always pack a hat and gloves when going to the Whites no matter the time of year or forecast). I hesitated, then raced into the house to get them, and with that Dugan the dog and I were on our way. We ran into surprisingly little traffic. Once we were out of Lincoln heading east on the Kanc, we had our side of the road all to ourselves on the Kanc and on Bear Notch. This was especially nice since it meant I could slow down and enjoy the views.

We got to the Signal Ridge trail head on Sawyer River Rd. and proceeded to get ready for the hike. Almost left my long pants in the car, but again said to myself, "This is the Whites, better to have them and not need them."

Dugan, who is younger and still getting to know how long his legs are, dithered at the first brook crossing then fell in part way across. When we reached Carrigain brook, it was my turn to dither. Since the brook was over some of the step stones I reluctantly removed my socks and trail runners and waded across. Brrr! As we gained elevation, I stopped to add clothes, including the pants I'd almost left in the car. We finally popped out onto the ridge, and how the wind was blowing! We found a sheltered spot to snack, then I put on more clothes, including the hat and gloves that I almost didn't bring. As I finished snacking I realized that it was snowing! Not much, but still, snow! <grin>

We headed for the summit and climbed the tower. Dugan had some trouble with the open grates on the stair landings, but gathered all his courage and darted across. A couple of times a gust caught us on the stairs. The gusts were strong enough that I had to hang on to the railings. Many thanks to the anonymous gentleman who took several pictures of us on the tower and encouraged Dugan to descend back onto the open grating.

The trip down was more of the same, but with the order reversed. We hiked out of the wind and snow back into blue sky and sunshine. We were serenaded by hermit and wood thrushes. The barefoot crossing on the return trip was almost pleasant, a nice cold soak for warm feet. While getting my shoes back on, Dugan decided he'd rather hike with a couple from RI that paused to talk with us. We hiked the last bit with them, which perked up Dugan who'd become a little tired.

Finally back at the car, we reluctantly packed up to head home. I was almost to Bear Notch road when I realized that I didn't remember packing the camera bag, which goes on the waist belt of my pack while hiking. I pulled onto the shoulder and began searching the car, finally remembering that I'd put it on the roof. I turned the car around, thinking I'd never find it. But there it was in the middle of 302 - right on the yellow line - in front of Four Irons (or is that Fourth Iron?). The camera might be broken, but at least the film wasn't exposed. I can't believe I found it (I can't believe I didn't check the roof before leaving)!

We had very little traffic all the way home, even with hitting Lincoln at 4:30. Dugan awoke only for his traditional BK burger break in Ashland.

As we finally hit the sack at home, I opened a window. After crating Dugie to keep him quiet, I was sung to sleep by barred owls and a pack of coyotes. We hear owls almost every night, but coyotes are more unusual. A perfect ending to a wonderful day!

Couldn't ask for a better day! Snow and wind, blue sky and sunshine, few bugs, didn't lose the camera, minimal traffic, no crowds, Dugan's hiking manners are slowly improving, and he picked up his 3d 4k. We met many nice people and a Golden Retriever who'd done his 48.