Carrigain! At last!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forty8

Reaction score
I've been pursuing these peaks on and off for ten years. Last week, I completed numbers 46 and 47 with a thru-hike of the Kilkenny Ridge. That leaves just one: Carrigain. I've been told that the Desolation Trail is a lot of fun and so I'm thinking about taking my time and making a loop using Carrigain Notch, Desolation, and out by way ot Signal Ridge. If I really wanted to take my time and do it as a backpack, are there reasonable places to camp along that route? Are there other routes I should consider? Thanks for the input!

congrats on the 47. So close you can taste it, huh?

I have only hiked signal Ridge..a great hike.

forty8 said:
I've been pursuing these peaks on and off for ten years. Last week, I completed numbers 46 and 47 with a thru-hike of the Kilkenny Ridge. That leaves just one: Carrigain. I've been told that the Desolation Trail is a lot of fun and so I'm thinking about taking my time and making a loop using Carrigain Notch, Desolation, and out by way ot Signal Ridge. If I really wanted to take my time and do it as a backpack, are there reasonable places to camp along that route? Are there other routes I should consider? Thanks for the input!
It is an excellent alternative route. The travel through Carrigain Notch and around to the start of the Desolation Trail is pretty easy. Unless you get a late start you may find yourself there rather early in the day. There's a lot of relatively flat terrain in the area so finding a camping spot wouldn't be too bad; just resist the temptation to camp too close to the trail or the brook - though you might find others doing it.
One thing to be careful of is that there are no blazes on the trails beyond the notch as you are in Federally designated wilderness and someone decided that the blazes on the Carrigain Notch Trail needed to be scraped off of the trees. The Desolation Trail has apparently been without blazes for some time. The trails aren't hard to find and follow, especially if you have a compass and/or a good sense of direction, but you do need to pay attention especially in the area near the start of the Desolation Trail.

sounds like a plan :) but I also like your other idea hiking in via nancy pond.

btw i soooo wish you could of been there on moriah too :)
kmac