Carrigain in the next few weekends

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
I'd probably be looking to do it the first or second weekend in May to finish my 48. Definitely not this weekend. Wondering how much snow is up there? As we get longer periods of warm weather is there going to be a prohibitive amount of postholing (without snowshoes)?

Gator said:
I'd probably be looking to do it the first or second weekend in May to finish my 48. Definitely not this weekend. Wondering how much snow is up there? As we get longer periods of warm weather is there going to be a prohibitive amount of postholing (without snowshoes)?

As of last Thursday, Sawyer River Rd was still closed http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/roads_status.php . It will probably still be closed the first or second weekend of May, but maybe they'll open it because of the dry weather we've experienced. As for snow, I haven't been up there but I did Eisenhower this weekend and there was 3-4 feet of snow above 4000 feet below treeline. It was just cold enough to not posthole...too much, and I'm 275 pounds. I heard reports that the woody sections of the Bondcliff trail have 4 feet of snow, so I'd say that anything over 4,000 ft still has a few feet of snow at this point.

grouseking