Carrigan via Signal Ridge 05/18/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enapai

Reaction score
What a nice surprise to pull up to Sawyer River Road and see the gate was open. I had checked the road status last night and it was reportedly still closed.

Conditions - The entire trail was in great shape. I utilized a well placed fallen White Pine to get by the 1st stream crossing. There was a buildup of debris at the second crossing to make it not too bad. Though the water was not high, any hiker would have had wet feet if not careful at the crossings. The first snow on the trail was just below 4000 feet. A monorail was present, but there was not a stretch of continuous snow longer than 100 feet. Most of the snow/ice was able to be sidestepped. There were a few stretches that required walking on the snow, but the snow was solid under foot with no postholing.

Equipment - Poles were useful, waterproof boots, and some wind protection. I carried snowshoes and in-steps all day and never considered them for use. Time to put the traction away, its summer conditions folks (at least for the Signal Ridge Trail).

Nice day in the mountains. The sun broke through the clouds in the afternoon. Did not see another soul all day. This was #47 for me (all that is left is Adams - hopefully in the next couple weeks) and I can see why many leave Carrigan for #48. I was able to pick out virtually all of the other 47 peaks while on the summit tower.