Carry a tripod - ugh!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
I haven't gotten out to do much lately, so I was looking through some of my shots that I haven't gotten around to post-processing. Here is a prime example of why you need to have a tripod with you. I drove to the beach down the street to shoot some surfers. Since i was going to shoot surfers I did not bring my tripod. I usually just shoot them with a 100-400mm at high shutter speeds so I can handhold it and get very good results.

Well, I ended up hanging out at the beach longer than expected and then got treated to a nice sunset. Then I realized that I did not throw a tripod in the car when I had left. Dumb.

Shooting handheld in low light forced me to up the ISO to a max of 3200. I knew it would result in a noisy shot and it did. It documented the moment, but I certainly wont be making a print from it.

9652-600sq.jpg

After getting around to checking the shots out and post processing them I now wish that I had brough a tripod that day. I would really love to have a clear noise free shot of this scene.

I understand how some people don't want to hike with a tripod, but if you are going to be shooting near your car then there are no excuses not to bring a tripod. I wish I had mine that night. It has actually happened to me a couple of times lately. Not anymore.

- darren

First off, despite the noise, the colors and comp are great. Perhaps that makes it sting more, but it's a good shot...

A lesson learned for you, a lesson I've learned the hard way as well.

Even a monopod would help...but I lug mine everywhere now...

I was playing around with combinations of blurring and sharpening, seeing if I could hide the noise a bit without sacrificing sharpness. I failed, but I discovered a filter called Despeckle, which, applied repeatedly, results in an impasto effect. Thought I'd share:

darren.jpg

Edit: there are built-in filters "oilify" and "impressionist" too, but I didn't like the results. However, "Cartoonify" comes close if you dial the black all the way down:
(actually it's kinda cool with the default 2% black, but a very different effect.)

darreb.jpg

Last edited:
Jim - yah, I usually always have a tripod with me, but the lesson I learned this time is that even when you are going out with the intention of shooting a specific subject, you need to be prepared for any subject. It has happened to me a few times recently. I say "ah I dont need this because I am going to be shooting such and such." Wrong. You are right, this particular time this lesson stings because I really see the potential of the shot I could have gotten. ugh.

nartreb - those are some interesting effects. "Cartoonize" - ha, now that is funny in name alone. I'll have to go do some playing.

- darren

Darren,

Small tip, which I think you've heard before. Put your camera on continuous shooting, brace your elbows, (set lower ISO if you really want it) and fire away.
By shooting continuous and with luck, you're bound to get 1 out of 4 sharp.

I shoot 90% of my stuff at ISO 1600 but that is because I don't shoot landscape most of the time but I don't mind the noise and sometimes I prefer it. My car is a mess and I have one to three tripods in it at any time. :) The funny thing is I hardly get to use one. I have a really nice one in the car all the time, then monopod and finally saltwater tripod that I don't mind pitching in ocean sand and water. I also have a really crappy lightweight pod that I carried on one Wyoming trip. I hate it but it made a few shots that otherwise couldn't have been done.