Carter Dome via NMB 2/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
We had originally planned a hike to Adams & Jefferson but the weather did not cooperate. This one turned out to be a good alternative as we stayed mostly sheltered from the wind on a cold day. Used Nineteen Mile Brook Trail to Carter Dome Trail and then across the ridge to loop back on NMB. Trails are in great condition. We used snowshoes from start to finish. Saw one solo hiker on the way up and ran into several groups that stayed at the hut on the loop back down. Some were barebooting:eek: but most had snowshoes. The butt sliding was perfect down to the hut. We contemplated Wildcat but decided against it. The wind was especially strong down in the notch. One of the few times I've been cold. Almost pulled the plug on Saturday night based on the forecast for snow. Glad we didn't. Turned out to be a good day. Pictures via the link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105644909598407730104/CarterDome?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXa_bORwJWOXg#

Hey, I was there on Sunday! :D

I passed a group that looked like it was either off trail for a break, or camping around 8:30- 9:00 and then bumped into another group from the hut just about at the top of Carter Dome. They went as far as Zeta and turned back. I came back down to Zeta from the Dome and then went across the ridge to bag the "other" two Carters and returned to the car via Imp/Camp Dodge cutoff. Imp and 19mb were hard packed superhighways that didn't even require spikes. Up on/near the ridge there were some big boy drifts that I was happy to use the snowshoes for!

The wind on the open-ish approach to Middle Carter was most difficult to move in!

Last edited:
Hey Hoss, I forgot about the drifts up top. They were big but thankfully solid for the most part. I also forgot about the gentleman we passed when we were almost done. He asked how windy it was on top. He was planning on staying the night up there. I can't imagine wanting to do that. The forecast for the higher summits was for 100 mph winds for Sunday night into Monday. Hope he made it unscathed.