Carters & Carter Dome - Feb. 25-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
I’m not really sure when I decided that carrying a full pack over the Carters & Carter Dome, on my way to an overnight at Carter Notch Hut, was a good idea, but somehow that became this weekend’s plan. I had never been up Imp Face, so I decided to toss that one in too. While I was expecting to do a solo hike, Jim L volunteered to come along with me on this slow-moving adventure.

The day started off beautifully -- with a deer running through my yard and a couple of shooting stars whizzing overhead on the drive up. I also was fortunate enough to catch the Easter egg pink and lavender sunrise dawning over the Presidentials… just gorgeous but an indication that the day’s weather was not going to be particularly stellar. I arrived at the 19 Mile Brook trailhead at 7:30 a.m., picked up Jim and we drove over to the Imp Trail’s northern loop to start our hike.

Hiking with Jim is always great because he is very knowledgeable about trees so I learned a lot on how to identify a couple while on our first steps. We also came across some interesting four-toed tracks, that we could not identify (nor could Chris, the caretaker at Carter Notch Hut later on.) Already having trouble with my hefty overnight load, I told Jim that if he tired of my pace, he should go on ahead so he could make it back out for the drive home in reasonable time.

While Jim put on his snowshoes for the start of the hike, I barebooted until reaching the ladder on the Imp Trail. The dusting of snow became a thick sheet of ice that I knew I wouldn’t be able to climb. I decided to put on my snowshoes, rather than the crampons, in order to get a little more weight off my back and began crunching my way up to Imp Face. It took two hours to get to the viewpoint, which was worth every panting breath I took. Gray clouds were framing the Presidentials, but the air was clear enough that Jim and I thought we could see small dots moving up the snow and toward some of the summits.

After a long break on Imp Face, we continued on, initially concerned about how much elevation loss there is right off the bat. However, the rest of the trail was fairly gentle and we found ourselves heading up the North Carter Trail. The trail had quite a few blowdowns, including one I had to slide on my belly past in order to make it underneath with my pack. Soon, I heard voices behind me and saw Spongebob and then two other hikers who were heading to Moriah, come up behind me, just as snow flurries were starting. I was very relieved to finally make it up on top of the ridge of the Carter-Moriah Trail, since most of the day’s elevation gain was finally behind me.

The Carter-Moriah Trail heading to Middle and South Carter was covered with a few inches of fresh snowfall and Spongebob led the way, breaking much of the trail. A biting wind picked up as we crossed the ridge requiring me to put a fifth layer on and pull out the balaclava. I hit a few trouble spots during the ascent up Middle Carter, including a giant spruce trap in a steep spot that was a difficult climb out. I was happy to turn a corner and see Jim and Spongebob waiting on the summit of Middle Carter. I took a quick picture at the waist-high sign and began trudging on again. I found myself getting really tired and somewhat discouraged when I got a chance to see Carter Dome, looking oh so far away through the gray clouds whipping past the summits. I was really glad to have some downhill hiking after standing on the summit of South Carter.

We descended down to Zeta Pass and I questioned whether it would be easier to go to the hut via Carter Dome or heading down to 19 Mile Trail and turning up from there. Spongebob was of the opinion that it would be better to head up Carter Dome since the mileage was shorter and I would still have some elevation gain heading up to the hut from 19 Mile Brook. Jim L said we could just take it slow heading up to the Dome and recommended the same. So, we said goodbye to Spongebob and started the slow ascent up Carter Dome.

We found the trail was well packed and fairly easy going, though steep. It took me about an hour to get past the second junction for the Mt. Hight Trail, but I was immediately glad we headed up instead of down. The pine trees were draped in snow and the trail became a tunnel between eight foot snowdrifts. It was so beautiful that I walked slowly marveling at the scenery and completely forgetting to take any pictures! The final bit of ascent went pretty easily, but I was glad to have it all behind me as we crossed over the summit of Carter Dome, which was my 34th peak on the winter NH48.
The trip down to Carter Notch was somewhat harrowing, however. I probably should have switched over to crampons, but instead came down in my snowshoes. The steep parts had my knees just throbbing and there were icy spots that had me slip-n-slide down the trail. I was very relieved to find myself at the lake, where I said goodbye to Jim before heading over to Carter Notch Hut, where I would stay for the night.

My 5:15 p.m. arrival had me there pretty late and the hut was already bustling. Fortunately, I was meeting Sherpa John, his dad and friends Chris & Mary, so they had already saved me a spot in the bunk room. I stashed my gear, changed into clothes, put my dinner in the oven and was regaled with tales from their day. (Including the arrival of some hikers wearing short-sleeved cotton shirts, who had only summer sleeping bags and were expecting to stay the night, despite the caretaker Chris’ suggestion that they hike down. They ended up buying a lot of fleece sweatshirts and hopefully were fine… ) I was pretty exhausted and headed down to bed at 8 p.m. Temperatures overnight got down to zero but I felt plenty warm, so perhaps I’m getting better at the whole winter overnight thing.

In the morning, I headed down to the hut for breakfast and heard the bad news… Chris said that 70 mph winds were predicted and temperatures below zero by noon, which meant a -60 degree windchill. I had planned to hike over the Wildcats and down the Polecat trail on my way out to Route 16. However, I was worried about hiking down the ski slopes with no trees as protection from the wind. I very reluctantly decided to abort my second day of peakbagging so I could head to a warm home and hang out with my hubby. Sherpa John took my spare keys and very kindly agreed to move my car from the Imp trailhead to 19 Mile Brook trailhead. I actually thought I had lost my spare car key someplace along the Imp Trail when I took my sandwich out of my pack because I could not find it when I arrived at the hut. However, Sunday morning, another hiker announced that he had found a key on the floor of the hut, which thankfully was mine.

I packed up my gear, strapped on my snowshoes once again and pointed my feet down the trail. I did stop at the Wildcat Ridge trail junction and considered whether I should head up and at least bag Wildcat A, but decided I wouldn’t mind coming back up for another overnight at Carter Notch next year instead. So, I headed down the trail, which was well broken out. Through the trees, I had really neat views of Madison draped in a cloud blanket -- the clouds were hugging the bumps along the ridge, so it looked like fluffy peaks. Two hours later, I was back at my car and heading home.

Pictures from the trip are here.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Nice Tr and pics Ivy it did look cold and some of those shots along the ridge made the summits look a long way off. Congrats on a good safe trip.

Good job Amy!
I wondered how you'd do getting a big pack up 'the long way' to the hut. That's quite accomplishment. Last week when we were first contemplating our options over the cold weekend, I said 'NO WAY' to the idea of carrying my full pack up over C Dome, S & M on the way out.

Smart plan to bail on the peaks for today. We opted for Waumbec with double-bow and were so thankful to be in protection of trees for the entire hike. It was cold! And upper clouds were flying. Not a day to be above treeline or unprotected.

Geri

Despite challenging conditions you bagged another one Amy; good for you!! :D Congratulations on # 34. Glad you made the call to go back for the rest on a day when the wind chill won't be so dangerous .... How could it be a bad thing to have to go back out there, after all?! ... New views, experiences, and company, which is what it's really all about anyway :). I can't wait to get out there myself. I hit the halfway mark for the winter list with several more, at least, to come later in the week. We'll have to swap "Still To-Do lists" ... I'd love to join you again out on the trails soon :D.

Congratulations on #34, it was a pleasure hiking with you. How about those drifts near Carter Dome!
cart16.jpg

What was the dinner you put in the oven? Hide-a-key on or near your car. By going over the Imp Face you chose the steepest way up the Imp Trail. You must be in good shape! Nice report.

rambler said:
What was the dinner you put in the oven? Hide-a-key on or near your car. By going over the Imp Face you chose the steepest way up the Imp Trail. You must be in good shape! Nice report.

Definitely not in good shape, but I'm stubborn so I keep walking even when I'm tired. :) I had burritos for dinner... wanted something easy and lightweight to drag over all those mountains. :)

- Ivy