Cascade & Porter Mountains (Plan C) - 12/31/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
I was supposed to be skiing at Gore today with my son. Something came up and he had to back out. Plan B was to park at the AMR parking area, ski the lake road to the Weld trail and then hike Sawteeth.

When I tried to get out the door, my dog Rev wedged herself between me and the door and said "I'm going too". (I had intended to give her a day of rest because she has been breaking backcountry ski trails for me for the last 5 days).

She wanted no part of a lay around day, so Cascade and Porter became Plan C, since dogs aren't allowed on AMR property).

We had a nice trip up and back from Route 73. The trail to Cascade of course has been stampeded. The trail to Porter has been broken in, but still soft.

Cascade summit was a whiteout. The walk to Porter was beautiful.

Some folks left there packs at the trail split while doing Porter. They came back to find some rodent had gotten into their trail food.

Easy walking on these trails at the moment. We were up and down in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Nice day even without any visibility.

Pics and full trip report at:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2012/12/cascade-porter-mountains-123112.html

These are the first 2 NY summits I have completed. It was a fun hike in late May. I loved the views and bald ledges of Cascade and the trail over to Porter and it's teasing views along the top were nice. I will have to get back into New York for some more summits.