Cascade & Porter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dory

Reaction score
#10 and #11!
This is a delayed trip report as all this took place a week ago. This trip is also the most unique and awesome, relaxing, fun trip I have ever taken to the high peaks. Trip participants: Dory, Amy, and Colby. On Thursday the 27th we set out from PA after a gourmet dinner at Sheetz and headed to Florida....New York, that is. :D We arrived close to 11pm at the home of Alistair and his awesome wife and family who lent us a spare bedroom complete with mattress! It is really incredible to me to see the generosity of people who will do a favor for people that are almost strangers. Thank you! Thank you, Alistair! A few beers and short stories later, we went to sleep and awoke early to make the final leg to the high peaks. Alistair even made us coffee in the morning! What a host, next time he has to come with.
We stopped at the Mountaineer to get the forecast, "heavy rain". woohoo! As Friday, the 28th, was my sister Amy's birthday, she got to decide what day hike we would do, so at a bit after 12 we arrived at the Cascade/Porter trailhead. After sorting through the gear in the pouring down rain, eating some lunch and changing clothes, we started out around 1pm. We passed a few families with small kids near the trailhead and several groups on our way up. The rain was really refreshing, it seemed to help us keep our pace very quick compared to the speed we would have hiked had it been sunny and warm. There were definitely some wet and gooey places along the trail, but what would the Adirondacks be without that!
We hit cascade summit around 2:45 and then scooted around to Porter and were back at our car a bit before 5pm. We saw only one lone hiker headed up around 4:30 pm, other than that it was quiet on the way down the trail. We celebrated on the summits by ourselves. About 20 minutes from the car the rain let up and the clouds started separating. By the time we got to the car patches of sun were coming through which made peeling off our wet clothes and changing a much easier process. Once dry, we basked in the sun at the parking lot; Colby and Amy celebrated with more beer, and then we finally dropped into the car and made our way to the Lake Placid Brewery for a birthday dinner feast.
Only a few pics due to the weather.
After dinner we stopped at the ADK Loj Road to enjoy the view and then drove down to Ticonderoga to participate in the WOW women's trailwork weekend. Colby headed back up and soloed most of the Great Range on Saturday.

I hope you all got to see Pete's pics from the weekend, it was really an amazing experience. Trailwork is something Amy and I have always wanted to do and I just loved every minute of the sweaty, buggy mess of it! Maybe it is that I sit behind a computer every day, maybe because it was so good to work with my hands at something that required more muscle than thought. I'm not sure, but I questioned several times what makes me happy this weekend. I also enjoyed meeting all the other women and the trailmasters. There was also Darwin and Bret the rangers who orchestrated the trailwork. I had the chance to spend more time getting to know Timmus, Sam, and, of course, seeing Pete again was so much fun. Oh! And, I also had the chance to try Thai food for the first time which was so delicious!
We spent Sunday night in Lake George roughing it at the Econolodge and having dinner at the Adirondack Brewery and Monday was the drive back to Harrisburg. It was a vacation that I really needed and had so many interesting aspects. Once again, this place captured my heart.

Dory

Last edited: